Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ohio State Match

Blaster

Blaster, my procedural was on the stage I was running. :roflol: I had run about 40 SOs through the course before I shot it. I had explained to them all that if you shot at the popper around the left wall, missed it, then shot the static target before they shot the popper again, you would get a procedural. Guess what I did? :rolleyes: That's the first procedural I have gotten since 2 weeks before at the NC State match where I opened a door with the wrong hand. :roflol: I just have to realize I made a mistake, shake it off and go on with the shooting. I use mistakes as learning experiences and figure a way not to make them again. Listening to the SO and asking questions is the best way to avoid procedurals.

Susan's was on the BBQ stage. She used the 2 handed Hackathorn retention position and the SO thought she had the gun too high. Again, a question asked ahead of time might have helped.

As an aside, anybody who thinks SOs have an advantage by working the match weren't there when we were shooting our last stage at 8PM on Saturday. :roflol: I win the prize for biggest muzzle flash. ;)

I really enjoyed this match. There was more of a shooting challenge than you see sometimes. Especially if you're shooting a revolver. ;)

Blaster, good seeing you again.

I definitely agree, we did not get an advantage and I feel that my performance suffered miserably as a result of fatigue. Two long setup days prior to shooting on Saturday provided me with the worst scores that I've recorded to date at a Sanctioned Match.

First, a big thanks to all the staff at the match, I truely enjoyed it.

I was in the squad in front of Bob V., I can say we had absolutely no problems with any steel on any stage. For every stage, the SO's where very helpful, and when I got into my gamer mode, and starting asking the jailhouse lawyer questions like, doesnt his wall count as cover, or if I do this here are you going to PE me or no? they were all more than ready with an answer, and there was never any hesitation with an answer.

I plan on shooting this match again next year, and I hope that it is run half as well as this year. It really was great.

That is the way to do it...... Ask ALOT of questions, even ones that you know the answers to!! If you don't ask and push the gray areas you will not be able to find the limits of how the stages are designed/ interpreted. After shooting a few majors with Bob V. this is one thing I have learned. It is not just the act shooting that you can learn from the top shooters but other aspects of the game as well.

So at the 8am shooters meeting the match director said no appeals of Safety Officers calls.Shorty latter for the first time in 12 years of shooting IDPA I got called on my mag pouches not being back far enough. After looking doumfounded at SO another SO came over and explained that I was legal. Then on stage 2 I am told I can walk by a target without shooting it to get to cover to shoot it. OK . So there is 6 inch vertical oppening to see and shoot target which I did and I get proceder for no cover(no warning) on target that I walked by not having to shoot.There was problem with steel not being calabrated right. Bob Vogel got reshoot, but what about newer marksman shooters.The match Tshirt had picture of bullseye target on back not a IDPA target, great. Know I now why some local Ohio guys I met at West Virginia state match said they were not going to shoot this match . Blaster

I want to send a big THANK YOU to all of the folks who took their time and money to help work and shoot the 2008 Ohio State IDPA Championship, our first State Level Match. The positive feedback is pouring in. There were 120 shooters who competed and 40 of those worked the match. Our planning committee worked countless hours to make sure that the attendees had the best match possible. My hat goes off to all of them. Without the volunteers this sort of match would not be possible. I hope that everyone who attends a match knows that if there is a problem that they need to let one of the staff know right away. Whether that be a SO on a stage, registration or the food. Everyone on my staff had directions to address each and every problem brought to our attention. We provided an online survey in order to find out how to make this match better. We can't fix it unless we know about it.

We are starting the planning process tonight when as a Board Member of Pickaway County Sportsman's Range I will address the other Board Members at our monthly meeting. The President of our club and I spoke at length last night about ways to improve this match and to find more ways to give back to the shooting community. It is our intention to host the Ohio State IDPA Championship again next year at PCSI.

Thanks again to everyone who attended and who volunteered to help run this match.

Michael Craig

Match Director

A06904

BTW-Blaster-I sent you a PM in hopes that I will be able to personally address all of your concerns.

Edited by Michael Craig

Mike C.,

Make sure you keep 2 open slots for my son and I again next year. We had a great time!

I didn't feel that I shot my best and my 4th place in SSP EX showed it. My son however took second in SSP SS and got promoted to EX, so he's now my competition! :rolleyes: One of the two procedurals he got we felt was not a good call and he finished behind first place by 2.16 sec. so when the finals got posted, we were like damn..that sucks! LOL! Not bitchin here or anything like that, but it was bummer. Nonetheless, he took "High Junior" also..... so he had TWO trophies bigger than mine to take home. :roflol:

On a side note....Bill yelled at me! LOL! :surprise: Geezbus, I hadn't had someone yell cover at me in a while and it was on the first stage we shot for the day.

I felt we had a great squad of shooters. Everyone got along and was pleasant to talk to. Donnie Burton was MIA due to an illness, sure would have liked to shoot with him, but maybe next time.

Hats off to all the staff for your hard work. :cheers:

:ph34r: Bob M. :ph34r:

Mike C.,

Make sure you keep 2 open slots for my son and I again next year. We had a great time!

I didn't feel that I shot my best and my 4th place in SSP EX showed it. My son however took second in SSP SS and got promoted to EX, so he's now my competition! :rolleyes: One of the two procedurals he got we felt was not a good call and he finished behind first place by 2.16 sec. so when the finals got posted, we were like damn..that sucks! LOL! Not bitchin here or anything like that, but it was bummer. Nonetheless, he took "High Junior" also..... so he had TWO trophies bigger than mine to take home. :roflol:

On a side note....Bill yelled at me! LOL! :surprise: Geezbus, I hadn't had someone yell cover at me in a while and it was on the first stage we shot for the day.

I felt we had a great squad of shooters. Everyone got along and was pleasant to talk to. Donnie Burton was MIA due to an illness, sure would have liked to shoot with him, but maybe next time.

Hats off to all the staff for your hard work. :cheers:

:ph34r: Bob M. :ph34r:

Hey Bob, this is Corey, your kid is going to be one good shooter in a little while, you had better get to practicing!

Oh..hea there man! I really need to read people's signatures! I would have seen it was you! :roflol:

I wish I had a dollar for everytime I've heard that about him this year.....then college would be cheaper for me. :rolleyes:

Great time shooting with you guys.....now what's up with that star wars blaster in your avatar. Can I get one of those in the 30 megawatt range? :surprise:

Edited by babob

SSP..........Bob Vogel

ESP..........Morgan Allen

CDP.........David Lee

Not sure about the Limited 6 guys !!

ESR.......... Morgan Dague

SSR.......... Me :cheers:

I just saw the scores Bill - Well done by you ansd Susan!

See you in 28 days,

Craig

Oh..hea there man! I really need to read people's signatures! I would have seen it was you! :roflol:

I wish I had a dollar for everytime I've heard that about him this year.....then college would be cheaper for me. :rolleyes:

Great time shooting with you guys.....now what's up with that star wars blaster in your avatar. Can I get one of those in the 30 megawatt range? :surprise:

Its single stack season, I need to switch that back. Thats the CPJ or the Corey ProJect. I know a guy who could hook you up!

Hey Bob, this is Corey, your kid is going to be one good shooter in a little while, you had better get to practicing!

Well hopefully I'll be bringing home the bigger one next time.

They had purrty trophies there too. LOL!

090108034a.jpg

DId your son get 2 for being a Junior or did you get 2 for....?

He got 2nd for SSP Sharpshooter and was promoted to EX. He also got one for "High Junior".

Mine's the little 4th place one on the right for SSP EX. :closedeyes:

LOL, now you have to shoot against him all the time. Just setup a trophy section and put your trophys in with his and you can say, " Yup those are OUR trophys" :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, the second guy (Morgan Allen) hit the popper twice in the center and he did shoot after Bob. His rounds passed chrono with no trouble so it wasn't a PF problem. Morgan's issue was also on a different popper. I don't recall if they were staked down or not, foolish of me not to take note of that.

Unfortunately, IDPA doesn't have an official popper calibration procedure. Something more if us IDPA shooters should address with headquarters.

Sorry for the late weigh in ... yes, I shot on and had issues with the opposite popper that Bob did. This was our last stage of the match … and one thing I've noticed is that equipment, poppers especially, will move around a little over the course of getting knocked down 150+ times. Craig and the SOs at the match professionally handled everything. I say that not because I got an optional re-shoot (and we all know how re-shoots can go sometimes – hey this was a strong/support only stage with non threats), but because they objectively reviewed everything and addressed the issue in a polite and fair manner.

One of the things I've tried to do more over the past year or so is to try to ask a few more questions during the walk through. Part of the reason is the obvious need to understand what options are available. The other reason is to make sure that what I would like to do will not incur any negative consequence if there is any possible varied interpretation of the stage instructions such as with cover, tact reload points, starting position (foot position when starting seated), etc. Getting called a gamer occasionally is a small price to pay (even if we're all using a timer and have a competitive mindset) so as to help avoid potential issues *after* the stage has been shot.

I think that course design is a very difficult thing to do well. Even harder is putting together a design that embodies IDPA and is challenging to both the MM/SS and the EX/MA shooters via options for negotiating the same COF. Even more difficult is to design one in which you will know ahead of time how everyone is going to shoot it and to account for those differences in such a way that subjectivity, confusion, or interpretation don't play any role whatsoever. Whether or not you agree with a particular course of fire instruction at the beginning of a stage as to a white/black comparison to IDPA intent, such as starting a stage where one opens a door and charges a target shooting it on the move as opposed to taking available cover, it behooves us as competitors to ask questions about what we need to do before the stage starts to understand what we need to in order to not end up in some of the avoidable conversations when it's over. That all said, I think that the OH State Match was a well run match.

Morgan

Edited by Slingshot