Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sight focus, unclear target

sherpa

Understanding the real importance of calling shots, I've recently been focusing my training on developing this and knowing where impacts would be at different distances with different sight pictures. One skill I need to develop is speeding up my hard focus on the front sight right after I transfer focus back from the next target's A-zone. I guess there are exercises for this, so I'll just re-search on this again.

However, another challenge I've noticed at farther targets (say 15m onwards) is that after transferring back into, and getting a hard focus on the front sight, I could barely see the target area in which the front sight is resting on. As my focus on the front sight is so hard and very clear, the brown target seems toooo fuzzy that it fades into the background as if part of the brownish dirt berm! Hence since I'm no longer sure where my sights are in relation to the target's A-zone, sometimes I have the tendency to adjust my focus slightly back to the target to see if the front sights are indeed 'centered' on the center area of the target, then again bring back focus to the front sights. Obviously, this is way too slooow! :unsure: Be gentle with me! :D

What suggestions are there to correctly visualize this? Is this normal? Or do I just trust that my sights are centered already on the A-zone and just focus on aligning the rear and front before firing? Thanks. :D

Sherpa

What your describing is somehitng almost all shooters experience, especially when first starting out.

When you shift your focus from the target to the front sight you are assuring your sight alignment (relationship between your sights and the target) is correct. Your target will be fuzzy because your are not concentrating on it. From this point on you have to trust that your sights are still aligned with the target. Your gun will wobble some, however, not enough to cause your point of impact to be off.

Many shooters want to take a peak at the target as they are pulling the trigger to confirm thier sight alignment. However, all they are doing is watching where the bullet impacts. This is turn prevents you from calling your shot, which will slow down transitions and affect your accuracy.

When you are practicing, try to remember what your sight picture look liked the moment the gun fired, this is follow through. When shooting at paper targets, use this same procedure, do not look for bullet holes, let your follow through tell you where the bullet went. This is not easy, but your rewards will come.

Good Luck

Edited by Sac Law Man

• 2 weeks later...
Sherpa

What your describing is somehitng almost all shooters experience, especially when first starting out.

When you shift your focus from the target to the front sight you are assuring your sight alignment (relationship between your sights and the target) is correct. Your target will be fuzzy because your are not concentrating on it. From this point on you have to trust that your sights are still aligned with the target. Your gun will wobble some, however, not enough to cause your point of impact to be off.

Many shooters want to take a peak at the target as they are pulling the trigger to confirm thier sight alignment. However, all they are doing is watching where the bullet impacts. This is turn prevents you from calling your shot, which will slow down transitions and affect your accuracy.

When you are practicing, try to remember what your sight picture look liked the moment the gun fired, this is follow through. When shooting at paper targets, use this same procedure, do not look for bullet holes, let your follow through tell you where the bullet went. This is not easy, but your rewards will come.

Good Luck

+1 to all that.

Maybe also try this old Bullseye Shooting, confidence-building practice drill. Flip a target at about 25 yards over backwards so you can't see the scoring rings. Then shoot a 6-shot group on it. Then go check your grip for location on the target and group size. Beginning shooters invariably shoot a tighter, more well centered group if they can't see the scoring rings on the target.

be