Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Odd Open gun - Need recoil spring

Shay1911

The gun is a CZ Champion, 9mm major. CZ is no longer importing this gun and CZUSA no longer carries recoil springs for it. The original recoil spring is a twisted wire spring, which does not exist in any other CZ.

The gun has a full length solid guide rod and a reverse collar. A normal CZ recoil spring is 5", but with the reverse collar, in order for the gun to lock back, it has to be cut down to 3".

The original spring is a twisted wire, which allows a full length spring to compress much further and, therefore, work with that guide rod.

I have two springs, 14lbs and 11lbs at full length. I cut the 14, installed it and the gun felt over gassed, as in muzzle was dipping down, maybe the spring was too strong. The 11 feels a bit stronger than the original spring (that broke), but much better than the 14lbs.

My dilemma is whether an 11lb spring that is cut would be sufficient. From what I understand, a spring's "power" is constant and the length should not matter. Is that right?

Does anyone know of a twisted wire spring that I can use? I am assuming I would need around 9lbs spring.

The gun has a full length solid guide rod and a reverse collar. A normal CZ recoil spring is 5", but with the reverse collar, in order for the gun to lock back, it has to be cut down to 3".

It's real hard to get a reasonable life out of a spring that short. Can you use the spring system from a regular CZ?

Some ideas:

Write CZ directly. They might be willing to send you springs. Shipping international is not rocket science. http://www.czub.cz/

Post a request on the IPSC forums, asking for someone to buy you a few springs in Europe, and ship them to you. http://ipsc.invisionzone.com/

Ask Angus Hobdell. He might be able to special order some, or carry some back from a trip to Europe.

I thought the 40P or one of the SA 40s had a braided wire recoil spring??

any chance you can change or modify the slide/comp to accept another recoil system?? use the sprinco system with a short recoil spring??

can you post photos of the gun apart?? see what that reverse collar looks like??

• 5 months later...

Think that is right, though I'd have to dig some guns out of the safe to check - think you want the OEM spring from a 40B (aka Colt Z-40) or possibly from a .40 cal 85 Compact (think they changed the name of that one).

d

I thought the 40P or one of the SA 40s had a braided wire recoil spring??

any chance you can change or modify the slide/comp to accept another recoil system?? use the sprinco system with a short recoil spring??

can you post photos of the gun apart?? see what that reverse collar looks like??