Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems with SDB primer system

I have been having several issues with my Square Deal B and the primer system. The primer cup seems to get caught whenever it feels like on the shell plate. I am not aware of any adjustments of for this. I have repeatedly cleaned and lubed the primer bar assembly and shell plate bolt. There are no burrs on the primer cup or shell plate. Any help will be appreciated.

Take the shell plate off. Look at the underside where the primer cup comes up. It should have beveled holes (all four of them). If not, bevel them. I used a dremel. When I got a .45 caliber conversion I noticed the shell plate was already done at the factory like that. I was having problems with primers flipping. It would go into the hole but just catch on the shell plate and kick the primer up and sometimes rotate it.

It acted like the shell plate was rotating too slow for the primer cup as it came up. I tried for hours to adjust the timing of it. Finally worked the underside of the holes and it now has been perfect for 4k rounds.

That allen screw mentioned above did not help my problem, I tried that too.

Edited by want2race

The primer cup/plunger is held on the slider bar with a set screw. Mine sometimes loosens and the primer cup/plunger gets a little too long. Loosen the screw, and be sure the cup and spring is completely compressed. It will hurt your thumb, so use a small piece of wood or other tool. Tighten the screw while holding everything tightly.

Most importantly do not adjust where the shellplate indexes that is not the problem you have, the shellplate is most likely indexing correctly, the problem is the primer arm position. The primer cup is catching on the shellplate because the primer arm is not going in far enough or is going in too far. This position is adjusted by a set screw on the primer housing. It is above the primer arm return spring and below the primer arm, you will need the smallest allen wrench supplied with the press and maybe a small flashlight, it contacts the pin sticking out of the primer arm that holds onto the return spring. I also suspect that you now have a bent primer seater pin. This can be replaced from Dillon. I usually just get a complete spare one at the same time.

Chamfering the bottom of the shellplate will reduce some of this issue, but the catching is a symptom of misalignment, fix the misalignment do not remove metal it may not fix the catching.

All else fails, call Dillon.

The primer cup/plunger is held on the slider bar with a set screw. Mine sometimes loosens and the primer cup/plunger gets a little too long. Loosen the screw, and be sure the cup and spring is completely compressed. It will hurt your thumb, so use a small piece of wood or other tool. Tighten the screw while holding everything tightly.

This is what my 1996 vintage SDB does. I occasionally will take the slide bar assembly and tighten it as described above.

I went through the "adjust the slide bar" phase as well. I spent two hours adjusting it in and out trying to find the "ZEN" spot. In my situation, the bar was perfectly centered in the shell plate hole once the shell plate was fully indexed.

The problem i had was that the shell plate wasn't fully indexed soon enough. The plate was still turning at the instant that the primer cup was coming up to find the hole. In and out the adjustment was perfect. My primer cup was hitting the left side of the hole. Raising the handle fast helped a little but mad loading sloppy at times.

Chamfering the hole allowed the primer cup to slide up the left side and find center. My .40 shell plate was not chamfered at all (re: old). When I bought a .45 kit the .45 shell plate was already chamfered in the same way I modified my .40 plate. Seems I wasn't the only one with this issue.