Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Diminishing Match Performances

Paul Burtchell

I think you've got to ask yourself what is the sport about - besides having fun. :)

Many times you'll hear some one describe the sport as shooting all your targets as quickly as possible.

WRONG! Sorry, but that's the way I see it.

The sport, especially in Production division where I shoot, is about shooting alpha's as quickly as possible. If you're accepting anything less then you're doing your scores a disservice.

There are times when it might be possible to accept a few Charlie's and maybe a Delta but you've got to know your own capabilities.

Where are you strengths? Do you have any strengths?

If you come up against a stage that encompasses your strength then that's the stage to push it, especially if it's a larger stage. A high percentage will really help your point tally.

My strengths seems to be prone stages and run & gun stages with only paper targets. It's hard to push a prone stage so I go for points there, but run & gun is where I push and it almost always serves me well.

What are you weaknesses? Everyone has one of those.

Train to make those weaknesses your strengths.

My own weaknesses are many but they have changed in the short time I've been shooting.

It used to be that I almost always zeroed a short course - now I shoot for points and it's been a long time since I've zeroed a stage and usually I finish very nicely in the points on short stages, and even winning them from time to time. As others have said, you can't win a match with short stages but you can certainly lose a match.

Then it was strong hand - weak hand stages that were giving me grief. While I'm not all the way there yet I have improved dramatically by training for these types of stages. So when the competition falls away I still finish well.

Nowadays it's plates and poppers that give me grief. Not a lot but just enough to know I'm chewing up valuable time on them, so I'll concentrate on them for a while.

Shooting slower and making all your hits count has a speediness about it that people don't factor in. I watched a video of me shooting recently on a stage and my time was slow enough that the RO actually smirked as he read out my time. Now this RO is one of the better shooters in my region for Production (certainly much faster than me) but when the scores were calculated I finished something like 25-30% ahead of his score because of my hits.

At my most recent match I was squdded with a higher graded shooter. He beat my times on just about every stage in the match but I outshot him considerably (by 11.5%) when the final scores where tabulated. Of my 223 scoring shots for the match 82% of them were Alpha's - that really helps at the end of the day.

If you can't decide on whether a stage calls for accuracy or speed, go for accuracy and make every shot count. You can be too fast but it's hard to be too accurate (unless you're taking a stupid amount of time to make your shots).

Edited by blownhemi

Depending on your cash flow, try scheduling a training class with Dave Re (Xre) and go over the areas you are having difficulties with...... he's close to you and I guarantee you'll improve.

-Mike

Too funny. Dave and I have have actually discussed just that, and I'm trying to schedule now. Great observations and suggestions everyone.

The one thing that seems to have decreased the most is my ability to align the sights quiclky. It now seems like it takes forever to align the sights after a shot. It use to seem like they just went right back into alignment. Maybe its percption and not reality as I've not actually timed my splits.

Have you had your eyes checked lately?

Depending on your cash flow, try scheduling a training class with Dave Re (Xre) and go over the areas you are having difficulties with...... he's close to you and I guarantee you'll improve.

-Mike

Too funny. Dave and I have have actually discussed just that, and I'm trying to schedule now. Great observations and suggestions everyone.

The one thing that seems to have decreased the most is my ability to align the sights quiclky. It now seems like it takes forever to align the sights after a shot. It use to seem like they just went right back into alignment. Maybe its percption and not reality as I've not actually timed my splits.

J, you are spot on. I've got an appointment scheduled. I have noticed that I now have to use my bifocal to clear the front sight instead of the upper portion of my glasses. I am going to talk with my eye doc about monovision glasses.

Edited by baerburtchell

-Mike

J, you are spot on. I've got an appointment scheduled. I have noticed that I now have to use my bifocal to clear the front sight instead of the upper portion of my glasses. I am going to talk with my eye doc about monovision glasses.

Use the dot Luke..... :D Bad the eyes are... shoot the open you should.

Sides... we have better cookies. ;)