Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time vs Points

No one has done the math?

If you threw a mike on the first run and you had to take a step to get a better shot..would you take it? Given the prior run was, 8.08 hf (145 pts / 17.93 sec), for example.

If you called your shot and could make it up in about 1.87 sec you would be even..more than 1.87 you are in the hole, not worth it. A mike is worth 10 pts and the 5 you lost = 15pts. So to be even you would have to run the stage in 19.8 (160 / 19.8) to equal the 8.08 hf. So he could have thrown a mike or the 15 Charlies that he shot.

With that, he dropped 15 points in his first run 145/17.94. If he would have taken .058 more per shot to get the extra 15 points, he would need to get 160 pts in 19.8 by spending .058 more per shot to get the Alphas.

You have to know your ability and how much the points are worth.

Shot a 32rd run and gun stage and had 17A,15C time 17.93sec. Open fast splits and transitions and seeing the dot somewhere in the middle of th target.

Shot the second time and shot 25A, 7C time 22.53sec. My montra was AAAAA.......while shooting. Felt like cadance was like limited shooting? not Open. Waiting on the gun to settle on each target, then fire shot in AAAAAA

What would win stages or overall?? Which one would you go for?

The stage winners are going to do it in 16 seconds with 4 Cs.

Right on.

The line of thinking that plots points versus time is faulty. A shooter, in my opinion, will not reach their potential with that mindset.

Don't give up one to get the other.

Points are equivalent to time. So, if you waste points...that is no different than wasting time really (it lowers your score...your hit factor).

Don't waste. Be most efficient.

Flex got it.

In my experience, how many points I get on a stage, and my time on the stage aren't correlated. I get points by shooting with great care. I get a good time by getting moving efficiently in and out of position, and having a good plan.

Edited by Ben Stoeger

Yes.

I've got a whole thread on that. As well as threads that I've started on hit factors.

If you do a search with my username as a filter and click on searching the thread titles only...you will get my thoughts as well as some great feedback from top shooters.

Ben /Flex - Is there ever a time that you would blow off a disappearing drop turner?

When I can prove that the time is worth more points than I will get from the turner. My default position is to engage all targets though. That question is in regards to stage tactics, as in having the best plan. Once you have that plan, it is about execution.