Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hammer pin retainer removal

jmleenz

Hey guys -

Any tips on a how to remove that little hammer pin retainer pin? I am trying to replace the hammer spring with a light wolff one and this is where I am stuck. In Hennings how-to video he simply pushes it up and out of the way with a small screwdriver with little to no effort. Mine is stuck and will not move. To make matters worse in is all the way to the bottom of the little hole it sits in and I can not even get under it to put any leverage on it. Trying to push the smallest screwdriver in there under it has only resulted in several mars to the finish:( Can I push the hammer pin out from the other way? (pin exits the right side of gun). I already have an email into Henning, I wanna see if you guys have any idea too. Thanks!

Hey guys -

Any tips on a how to remove that little hammer pin retainer pin? I am trying to replace the hammer spring with a light wolff one and this is where I am stuck. In Hennings how-to video he simply pushes it up and out of the way with a small screwdriver with little to no effort. Mine is stuck and will not move. To make matters worse in is all the way to the bottom of the little hole it sits in and I can not even get under it to put any leverage on it. Trying to push the smallest screwdriver in there under it has only resulted in several mars to the finish:( Can I push the hammer pin out from the other way? (pin exits the right side of gun). I already have an email into Henning, I wanna see if you guys have any idea too. Thanks!

I guess you are talking about the hammer pin pin on a limited gun or gold team. the sear pack has to be out to pull the pin pin then the hammer pin just pushes out from the side. If its hard to get the pin pin out, a screw driver or using a 1/16 pun punch usually works to push it out the top.

http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/pinspringscrew.html Parts breakdown.

Leo

Hey guys -

I guess you are talking about the hammer pin pin on a limited gun or gold team. the sear pack has to be out to pull the pin pin then the hammer pin just pushes out from the side. If its hard to get the pin pin out, a screw driver or using a 1/16 pun punch usually works to push it out the top.

http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/pinspringscrew.html Parts breakdown.

Leo

Yes I am referring to the hammer pin pin. The sear pack is out but there is nothing to "pull" on since the pin sits flush in its hole from the top. It comes out the bottom hole (blocking the hammer pin) but I can not get underneath it as there is no room to "push" up on it?? Once this pin is out yes I can see how the hammer pin slides out form the side but removing that hammer pin pin seems impossible. Can I push the hammer pin out form either side of the gun?

I can only assume that the pin-pin is bent somehow. Have you tried tapping the hammer pin gently away from the pin-pin to see if it is putting pressure on the smaller pin ??

Have you tried using some small needle nose pliers to see if you can grip the pin-pin and edge it upwards ?

I can only assume that the pin-pin is bent somehow. Have you tried tapping the hammer pin gently away from the pin-pin to see if it is putting pressure on the smaller pin ??

Have you tried using some small needle nose pliers to see if you can grip the pin-pin and edge it upwards ?

Thanks for the input and np the hammer pin is not putting any pressure on the hammer pin pin. The hammer pin pin actually wiggles ever so slightly but will simply not budge. My beautiful gun now has 2 nice big scratches surrounding this hole trying to get this damn little pin out. They give you no room to push up on the thing. Seems like a pretty poor design on this pin placement. VERY frustrating. The pin is driven so far down from the factory there is ZERO room to get something underneath it, even a razor blade. I am stuck here. I tried small needles nose pliers but they were not small enough. You need like micro sized needle nose pliers to fit in there.

Some one please answer this question...can I push the hammer pin out from the opposite direction? (hammer pin pops out the right side of the gun. I can fit a small punch to the side of the hammer pin pin and get it it out that way if possible. I dont want to start hammering away with a punch and damage something.

Thanks for the input and np the hammer pin is not putting any pressure on the hammer pin pin. The hammer pin pin actually wiggles ever so slightly but will simply not budge. My beautiful gun now has 2 nice big scratches surrounding this hole trying to get this damn little pin out. They give you no room to push up on the thing. Seems like a pretty poor design on this pin placement. VERY frustrating. The pin is driven so far down from the factory there is ZERO room to get something underneath it, even a razor blade. I am stuck here. I tried small needles nose pliers but they were not small enough. You need like micro sized needle nose pliers to fit in there.

Some one please answer this question...can I push the hammer pin out from the opposite direction? (hammer pin pops out the right side of the gun. I can fit a small punch to the side of the hammer pin pin and get it it out that way if possible. I dont want to start hammering away with a punch and damage something.

I dont know what to tell you I have never had that many problems with one... the only time i did it had a bend on it and I just broke it off and removed it as 2 pieces and put a new one in. it only comes out the top normally.

Leo

Most of them just come right out, but the odd one has a burr on it (or whatever) and is stuck. This was the case with my first gun.

The solution:

Take a dremel tool (Oh GOD no!!) and with a VERY small carbide or diamond cutting bit, carefully cut a notch in the pin about half way up it's visible length perpendicular to the axis of the pin. Go slow and don't slip, as you don't want to wreck your finish. You should then be able to use this notch to tap the pin out with the head of a small screwdriver. Once out, it shouldn't be a problem again. You can either reuse the same pin or replace it with a length of drill shank.

I emailed you last nite, but I'll put this in here as well.

There really isn't much of a trick to it. Sometimes those pins can be a pain to get out and I have trashed it when I haven't done it carefully. At that point you have to cut it / break it somehow.

When they're tight I use a really sharp bladed knife and sneak it underneath. It always works if I'm careful enough. Get it to move up just enough and then use a small-small flat screwdriver (computer type) to move it up. If you push the pin inward in any way you'll bend it and it might have to get cracked to get out. It may sound stupid, but always make sure you've removed the sear assy as this is what holds it in place.

Thanks for input fellas. I ended up breaking mine off and taking it out as 2 pieces. After inspecting the piece that was stuck there was some kind of bur on the pin pin that made it impossible to push through the little hole. Oh well, its out now. The only bummer is I messed up my finish trying to get a little screwdriver under the thing:( More scratches build character right...

Does anyone just keep this pin pin out? Seems like the hammer pin is in there pretty good.

Oh yeah thanks for the emails Henning! Best damn customer service around!

The hammer pin will walk it's way out. I wouldn't do it.

Just take a piece of drill shank...or even a nail...and make another retaining pin.

yeah find a drill bit and cut it off with a dremel. it should be hard enough never to booger up too.

good idea.

Leo