Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope/Bore Relationship

Mickster

Maybe someone can help me figure this one out.

With the rifle sandbagged and appearing to be horizontally level and the horizontal crosshair in the Leupold Mil Dot also appearing to be perfectly level, to my eyes anyway, 3 shots at 100 yards go dead center into a 1" dot. Aim at the same 1"dot with the 3rd mil dot down and 3 shots are high as expected, but the group is 2" left of center.

So, something must be tilted. If the rifle is level would the scope be slightly tilted to the left or to the right to cause this? I'm thinking left but I want to be sure.

Maybe someone can help me figure this one out.

With the rifle sandbagged and appearing to be horizontally level and the horizontal crosshair in the Leupold Mil Dot also appearing to be perfectly level, to my eyes anyway, 3 shots at 100 yards go dead center into a 1" dot. Aim at the same 1"dot with the 3rd mil dot down and 3 shots are high as expected, but the group is 2" left of center.

So, something must be tilted. If the rifle is level would the scope be slightly tilted to the left or to the right to cause this? I'm thinking left but I want to be sure.

Left.

Rotating the scope in a clockwise direction in the mount should fix it.

The other method is to put a bubble level on the elevation adjustment and also on the scope rail or in the receiver lug ways when you tighten them down make sure the one on top of the scope stays level with the one on the receiver.

You can also buy leveling kits that strap around the receiver and sit perpendicular on the action so you can get a visual horizontal level with the crosshairs.

Nick

Nick,

I used to use the multiple level method but it requires you to be able to keep the rifle level while doing all the work. The beauty of the feeler gauges is that you can literally mount your scope while it is sitting in your lazy boy. No vice, no vice clamps, no marring on the finish etc.

I did the feeler gauge technique to remount the scope. As I slowly tightened the scope down the feelers would self center the scope and the wiggle would get less and less until it was gone.

Went to the range to test it. Scope reticule is centered perfectly.

Thanks.

I've never tried the feeler gauge method.

I'm guessing somebody could make a spring loaded, pin aligned, double plate device that would sit on the scope rail and lightly push on the bottom of the scope to keep the scope flat like the feeler gauge method does. HMMMM.....

Nick

I've never tried the feeler gauge method.

I'm guessing somebody could make a spring loaded, pin aligned, double plate device that would sit on the scope rail and lightly push on the bottom of the scope to keep the scope flat like the feeler gauge method does. HMMMM.....

Nick

Good idea but getting the cost of the unit lower than the feeler guages would be a bear.

The feeler gauge method only works if the reticle is centered in the scope.

Frank Galli AKA "Lowlight" likes to present the feeler gauge method as his own, but it was actually Jeff Huber that instructed him on how to do it before sending him a NF scope.

It is a quick and easy method and works like a champ.