Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para 16.40 Mags

OttoBon100

My STI para replacement tube have 3 holes on the sides but the mag catch hole is definitely narrower than my stock Para mags. It's the height of the hole that matters, but I think I will enlarge it because the STI mag will run over the mag catch when I insert it with the slide locked back creating a magazine stuck too far into the gun. The STI mag does feed flawlessly tested with jacketed and lead bullets ranging from 155 to 180 grain loaded long and standard length. It did require a bit of tapping with a rubber mallet due to it sticking in the well. It runs flawless and in great shape and I would like to trade it for a Para tube just to make my mags look all the same. josh

This is all interesting reading.

The mags have 3 holes. They do not fit in a .40 or a .38 Super STI frame. .38 Super and .45 ACP rounds do not fit in the mags. Only .40 S&W do.

When inserted in the Para and with the mag catch/release removed, the holes do not line up. Not even close. But, you can see the mag hole above the frame hole.

Could the mags have been cut incorrectly?

Josh,

The problem is the STI taper is different than the Para mag. That is why you can over insert it. Should n't the gun dry anyway! :D

TQM,

Anything is possible but I doudt it. Sounds like a mag release issue. Try the mag in a different Para. Then if that doesn't solve it call STI.

chriss G, I try not to run the gun dry but sometimes $#!+ happens. I hate running the gun dry because it usually means slamming the slide on an empty chamber at the last fired round. Yes my slide stop sits there to keep the gun together only, and locks the slide only when I make it. I usually over insert it when shooting at the regular firing range where slide must be locked at "range is safe" calls for target maintenance. :P So there :D josh