Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tracers / Incendary

I want to load some rounds but I have many questions. Does anybody know a good source for information/supplies? Do you need and/or should you use different powders? How careful do you need to be with these types of rounds? Do these rounds adversely affect brass? Do these rounds have different protocol between rifle and pistol rounds? Does anybody have an opinion between pre-made tracers or the tracers' jackets where you fill them with your own compound? Do you have to follow some special procedure? (i.e. wearing pink underwear while listening to liddy in a thunder storm)

:wacko:

If you have a professional need, loaded ammunition should be available to you. On military ranges tracers were a major pain in my ass. Every time we had to use them we started a grass fire. Why a sport shooter would want or need the things is beyond me. If you just want to mess with the things for "fun", you're opening yourself up to all kinds of property damage liability. IMHO opinion of course.

I bought 12K of the cheap 20% light tracers from hitech when they had them. About 50% light. Our range is 100% dirt with a high berm, so none of the tracers leave the range. I use them for blasting ammo, and load them the same as the 55 grain FMJ's. Some people don't like them, I have no problem shooting them.

I bought 12K of the cheap 20% light tracers from hitech when they had them. About 50% light. Our range is 100% dirt with a high berm, so none of the tracers leave the range. I use them for blasting ammo, and load them the same as the 55 grain FMJ's. Some people don't like them, I have no problem shooting them.

Do you need and/or should you use different powders? How careful do you need to be with these types of rounds? Do these rounds adversely affect brass? Do these rounds have different protocol between rifle and pistol rounds? Does anybody have an opinion between pre-made tracers or the tracers' jackets where you fill them with your own compound? Do you have to follow some special procedure?

I have done nothing different from loading regular bullets. Same powder, primer, etc. I use DP73 and TAC powder and WSP and CCI primers. These are 223 rifle bullets, so I have no experience with pistol tracers. I store them in bulk in 50 cal ammo cans just like my other blasting ammo. The accuracy is on par with other bulk 55 gr FMJ bullets.

I have no experience with the ones that you make the compound for. The ones I bought were ready to fire.

I believe it it Hi-tech that sells a military techinical manual for about $19. It give you specs of all military ammo from the 22 rimfire all the way to I believe 30mm. The technical manual number is TM 43-0001-27 Mine is dated 4/1994. It is a wealth of information on all US military ammo and components.

According to this tech manual the best results are attained with tracers if a STICK type powder is used. Ball powder does not burn hot enough to reliably light the tracer compound. Since there is a huge selection of stick powder (the entire IMR line, plus military surplus to name a few) assembling a load that matches military spec and performance is no problem.

I may be wrong about Hi-tech selling this manual. Any place that handles military manuals will have it or can get it in short order.

I believe it it Hi-tech that sells a military techinical manual for about $19. It give you specs of all military ammo from the 22 rimfire all the way to I believe 30mm. The technical manual number is TM 43-0001-27 Mine is dated 4/1994. It is a wealth of information on all US military ammo and components.

According to this tech manual the best results are attained with tracers if a STICK type powder is used. Ball powder does not burn hot enough to reliably light the tracer compound. Since there is a huge selection of stick powder (the entire IMR line, plus military surplus to name a few) assembling a load that matches military spec and performance is no problem.

I may be wrong about Hi-tech selling this manual. Any place that handles military manuals will have it or can get it in short order.

It looks like that manual is available for download from ar15dotcom. I did not see where it recommended stick powder.

It looks like that manual is available for download from ar15dotcom. I did not see where it recommended stick powder.

I looked in my manual and here is what is listed for a few calibers.

cal 30 tracer M1 IMR 4895

cal 50 tracer M1 IMR 5010

cal 5.56 tracer M196 IMR 8208M

There are other loadings for these cartridges using ball powder. The ball powder is used with later, easier to ignite tracers or incendiaries. The person asked about tracers/incendiaries both bought and "fill your own type." The stick powder is a MUST with the load your own type and is a foolproof powder to get optimal lite or incendiary ignition no matter what the age of the projectile or ambient temperature. In the case of the 5.56 the stick powder yields less fouling and more reliable weapon functioning. Why take a chance..use stick powder. It's not like they are being used to shoot at Camp Perry.

ok so is the manual outdated or what? and does anyone else know of manuals for tracers that has pistol info

No, the manual isn't outdated. It does cover tracers for different applications within the same caliber and most likely from different manufacturers.

What caliber pistol are you looking for??

Edited by flutedchamber

• 2 weeks later...