Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

milan, IL steel challenge

Just got back online......

We are going to put on a Steel Challenge at Milan, Illinois Rifle and Pistol Club, former home of the Nats....

Shooter's meeting at 830 and shooting starts at 9am.

$20 for your entry. If you want to shoot rimfire with your main gun add $10 more.

It will be all 8 current stages of the Steel challenge, and will be run to the current rules/regs for those who are getting ready to go to the big match. You can shoot Open, Limited, Open Revo, Stock Revo, Production, Cowboy, and the rimfire is iron sight and open sight as well.

My only advice is to bring double the ammo you think you will need if you have never shot the SC.....Some of the targets are smaller than they appear.....LOL...

Any questions lemme know....

Thanks,

DougC

Here's an update on the Steel Challenge shoot that we are having at Milan on Sunday, August 3rd. I needed to confirm some issues before I sent out this announcement. Doug Carden (dlc922@yahoo.com ) is bringing his regulation targets and is the man to ask if you have any questions regarding the format of the steel challenge. E-mail him with your questions. There are eight stages(I will include a link to the website showing the stage diagrams) with a 200 round minimum. This is totally a speed shoot, with one hit required on the steel plates before the stop plate is engaged. There are five strings per stage. There is a minimum center fire power factor of 125,000 and Doug asks that maximum velocities do not exceed 1350 fps to prevent damage to the targets. Stage diagrams: http://steelchallenge.com/sc-world-match/stages/

Set up will be 7:30, sign in opens at 8:00 with a shooter's meeting to follow once sign in slows down somewhat. Match fee for center fire is $20.00. For rimfire, $10.00. Here are the divisions:

open

limited

stock revo

open revo

.22 stock

.22 optic

SA revolver (single action)

All centerfires will draw from holsters, surrender position. The rimfire pistols with start at "ready pistol" position (that will be explained at the meeting)

A trophy plaque will be awarded fastest total time in each division...providing there are at least three entries in the division. Plaques will be sent post match.

Anyone with their own timers, please bring them. Thanks.

Any questions or corrections, please contact me. This is a fun and easy format with very little movement (one stage requires movement). All you need to do is hit the steel plates. Should be no problem....right?

Hope to see many of our regular shooters there. If this proves popular, we will run more matches and perhaps expand it. Help make it a successes.

Best regards,

Terry Fischer

Only thing to add is that there is no PF....... ;)

See ya there...

DougC

Isn't Area 3 that same weekend? And isn't Milan's big 2-day match the weekend immediately following USPSA Nationals week?

Who the hell is in charge of planning these things?

Only thing to add is that there is no PF....... ;)

See ya there...

DougC

Isn't Area 3 that same weekend? And isn't Milan's big 2-day match the weekend immediately following USPSA Nationals week?

Who the hell is in charge of planning these things?

Ya Mike same weekend as 3

Mike, the Milan schedule was made over a year ago, and the Milan shooters are stepping up and putting on matches that they didnt know they wanted last year. They were stuck with the available dates that they have, and are making the best of it. I think you can appreciate having a schedule that you can really do nothing about, and the match dates were not set to inconvenience anyone.

PM me if you need anything futher.

Jim, we are going to start shooting at 9am. The briefing will be very......brief......so just show up if you can, we will get you in!

Thanks,

DougC

To answer your comment/question Carmoney, I am. Thanks Doug for your input but I see I need to weigh in here. Unlike many clubs that are USPSA only, Milan Rifle Club is a multi-use, multi-discipline club. It is first a rifle club, with 200, 300, and 600 yard ranges. The use of those ranges for scheduled matches prevents us from using the IPSC ranges. When we set the next year's calendar in October, I'm handed a tentative calendar with about half the dates already written in. Many of the rifle(high power) dates are determined by the NRA or the Illinois State Rifle Association and cannot be changed by the host club. In addition, we have PPC, Bull's-eye, CMP, Cowboys, and a few others that vie for dates along with the club's USPSA/IPSC program. Many times I have to compromise my regular match weekend to accommodate other disciplines. We all try to work together.

Back in the early 1980's, when Guy Johnson was club president, all factions fought amongst each other and Guy fought with them. To his credit, if he had not done so, we'd still be loading ALL firearms with a single round and never drawing a hand gun from a holster. It was Guy and company that was responsible for bringing Milan into the modern age. Those meetings were very upsetting with a lot of back stabbing and verbal exchanges. Now, the BOD of Milan tries to work with each other and we get things done. I'm sure you haven't been to Milan for years but there have been several improvements made, by working together.

Since the Steel Challenge purchase by the USPSA took place long after the calendar was set, the August 3rd date was the only one available. I was aware of the Area 3 match but in reality, how many of you would have spent the time and money to come to a small local event as will be our very first Steel Challenge? If Doug Carden had not proposed the idea to me a while back, this shoot would not take place. Doug is a die hard SC shooter and is bringing his own targets to the range so we can hold this shoot. Beside, it was even stated in the Front Sight magazine, that part of the purpose of adding the SC to the fold under USPSA was to try to entice new or timid shooters to a sport that was less intimidating to participate in than a USPSA/IPSC match. So Area 3 was not a concern to me.

I didn't post the Aug. 3rd match on this forum. Someone else did. I wish those posters would clear it with the match directors first before they take it upon themselves to make these announcements. As I stated earlier, this is our first Steel Challenge match. Without any experience in running this type of format, I wanted to keep it local. If it proves popular, perhaps next year we'll run more of them as we gain experience. With more dates on the calendar, there will be opportunities for those that would make the drive to Milan, feasible.

I hope I answered your question.

Terry Fischer

Milan Rifle Club IPSC/USPSA Chairman

tfischer_milan_ipsc@mchsi.com

http://milanpracticalshooting.com

Doug is a die hard SC shooter and is bringing his own targets to the range so we can hold this shoot. Beside, it was even stated in the Front Sight magazine, that part of the purpose of adding the SC to the fold under USPSA was to try to entice new or timid shooters to a sport that was less intimidating to participate in than a USPSA/IPSC match. So Area 3 was not a concern to me.

Doug is also the Iowa Section Coordinator for USPSA. So the timing situation creates an inherent conflict for him, although I'm sure he's being gracious about it.

Anyway, I know it can be hard to schedule these things, and I'm not trying to make anybody feel bad here. I'm just disappointed.

Mike,

Does this mean that you would attend a Steel Challenge match at Milan if you have no conflicts with dates? If so, I will work towards that goal.

And with the upcoming Steel Challenge match (the real deal) in the middle of August, Doug is motivated to have our shoot on the 3rd. It'll be good practice for him. Kinda like shooting a small local club pin match before Second Chance. Practice is one thing but shooting an actual match would be another. Unfortunately for Doug, he'll have very little competition from the rest of us.

Doug is a die hard SC shooter and is bringing his own targets to the range so we can hold this shoot. Beside, it was even stated in the Front Sight magazine, that part of the purpose of adding the SC to the fold under USPSA was to try to entice new or timid shooters to a sport that was less intimidating to participate in than a USPSA/IPSC match. So Area 3 was not a concern to me.

Doug is also the Iowa Section Coordinator for USPSA. So the timing situation creates an inherent conflict for him, although I'm sure he's being gracious about it.

Anyway, I know it can be hard to schedule these things, and I'm not trying to make anybody feel bad here. I'm just disappointed.

If it makes you feel any better Carmoney... I don't get to go to our Steel Challenge match either :angry: since I am shooting and RO'ing at Area 3.

I WAS also going to nationals (which would have killed me running the 2-day), but a family emergency came up that sapped my vacation time and savings. Then I came up with the bright idea (seemed intelligent at the time anyway :blush: ) to turn our 2-day shoot into kind of a "match for those that can't afford nationals). Once I got my plan together, I realized that I am in effect planning almost an area type match, for $30. That, in itself, should bring out some people that don't want to take a week off from work and spend $250 to shoot nationals, plus hotels and food, and drool (vendor) area and such.

I didn't post the Aug. 3rd match on this forum. Someone else did. I wish those posters would clear it with the match directors first before they take it upon themselves to make these announcements.

Terry Fischer

Milan Rifle Club IPSC/USPSA Chairman

tfischer_milan_ipsc@mchsi.com

didnt think it was a big deal, i thought the name of the game is to come and have a good time. the more the better, no? and the more shooters more money for the club. lets have a match but dont tell anyone....... LOL kinda wierd, new or not to the SC i think the better the turn out the better the shoot will be. maybe im wrong, maybe im not, just trying to get some new shooters to the club terry. i guess i could edit my thread here to "DONT come shoot milans first steel challenge" ..... :cheers::roflol:

anyway thats funny, see ya all there. -chris

Guys, I appreciate everybody's responses. I would definitely try to make a steel match in Milan--I think I'm on your club's email list now, so I'll keep my eyes open.

Have a great match! Just remember the winner will always have an asterisk next to his name in the record books, since I wasn't there.... ;)

Colbyjack, I sent you an e-mail regarding my comments. Check your in box.

Mike,

I'd welcome a Master Blaster anytime. I think you are in Frank's e-mail group now. Also check the website for current events. You could sign in to the message board and add your $.02 when you want. I know everyone would like that.

Terry

:roflol: Ah.....I love this place.....One big happy family..... :):D

Yeah, I wanted to go to Area III this year, but with family commitments this year it wasnt going to happen. This last week has me on the frying pan :rolleyes: ......I have a couple of weeks to make nice and thought we would get a one day match in for those that couldnt travel. If this goes well, we should be able to schedule something next year.

Jim, we are planning on starting at 9am. I will be there all day. Come on over, we will get you set up! Come shoot with us and bring some friends! We will be stopping somewhere on the way home for one Cold one though....be warned!

DougC

Just remember the winner will always have an asterisk next to his name in the record books, since I wasn't there

I don't think so. I did this with a herniated disk in my back (I could barely walk):

61 Martin, Chris A55800 B Single Stack Major N N 680.9091 64.05%

62 Goloski, Julie TY18327 A Single Stack Major Y N 679.9254 63.96%

63 Christiansen, Ned A12453 B Single Stack Major N N Senior 675.8573 63.58%

64 Matthews, John L1934 B Single Stack Major N N 671.4840 63.16%

65 Pizoli, Dominic L2526 A Single Stack Major N N Senior 671.0666 63.12%

66 Carmoney, Mike A23819 M Single Stack Major N N 669.7558 63.00%

7:00 am meeting a few guys at IHOP in moline 16th st and john deere rd. cya guys there. -chris

I'm about 2.5 away... I spoke to a friend and he's game, so the two of us should roll in around 9-930. I've never shot any of these courses, so it should be a gas.... just make sure you tell me which one is the stop plate. :P

JT

7:00 am meeting a few guys at IHOP in moline 16th st and john deere rd. cya guys there. -chris

I'm about 2.5 away... I spoke to a friend and he's game, so the two of us should roll in around 9-930. I've never shot any of these courses, so it should be a gas.... just make sure you tell me which one is the stop plate. :P

JT

ill be pulling a red wagon, with wood sides. get at me if ya see me. -chris

Thanks to Terry F, Doug C and Ryan G for the setup score keeping and prompt posting of same. We had a great day for the match the storms pulled out and the wind picked up blowing the muggy stuff away. There were a great group of guys and plenty of good natured ribbing and fun. What comes after 7 Doug? :P

The match ran smooth with no bog points. We were able to run the 8 courses in about 2hrs. The ranges were in great shape. The club is one of the nicest I've attended with a huge 600yd rifle range(insert oh-ahh)

You guys have to run this match every month. I'll try and round-up a few more guys from here too.

I did pretty well for never having shot the cof before. I'm not used to shooting multi strings and the hands were shaking pretty hard after the firs run and through most of the courses. That will pass as it was in the last few courses. I managed not to embarrass myself to bad. I was having some problem seeing hits on some of the steel as it was a little blotchy. I spoke with Terry after the match and he said he would have paint and a roller at each stage for the next event. There was spray paint, but a roller with bright white would do much better and faster. I have no doubt he will follow through... both him and Doug want to make this work and I hope it grows. There were 34 shooters at the match and all seemed to have a good time. My squad was awesome... nice to meet you Ryan, Bud, and the two other guys.... sorry it's a name thing with me, also my friend Bruce who was kind enough to drive us in.

It was good to put a face with your name too Doug.... Set it up for next month and I'll be there.

Results converted from XLS to HTM for those without Excel

http://69.129.205.50/miranda/milan.htm

Edited by JThompson

Jim,

Thanks for the nice review of our first ever Steel Challenge. 7.. er 8 (LOL) great stages. In Doug's defense, he was under some pressure to get things rolling after the rain delay and taking a bit longer to set up than he thought. He says now he knows what stages will fit where at the club so next time, things will get rolling on time.

I'll have to look at the club calendar and see if there's a date that we can hold another SC shoot before years end. I've learned what I need to do on my part to make things run more smoothly. I think posting the stage descriptions near the shooter's box (like I do for our IPSC shoots) will help those unfamiliar with the stage to know the proper sequence. AND, yes, more paint! LOL! The $.97 a can Wally World stuff just doesn't do the trick, especially on some of the new plates that were still in the black.

The scorekeeper has some name corrections to make and once that is done, I'll have Ryan post it on the website and I will send out a e-mail newsletter with the final results and who gets something for their effort.

Thanks for coming and I can now plan on perhaps a larger match, now that I know what to expect.

Terry

Oh and BTW, glad we didn't have the weather Sunday we're having today....YIKES...It's brutal out there

Terry Fischer