Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.30-378 Weatherby

Cobra6d6

I recently purchased a new .30-378 in a weatherby mark 5. I wanted to know if anyone has much expierence with this round. I am interested in shooting a 180 grn bullet 3400 fps but not hell bent on it. I wanted to know, without shooting an extremely hot load, is that possible? Also are there any bullets that perform better at that velocity hunting or match? Any replies would be appreciated.

The .30-.378 was just starting to catch on with the magnum fans around here when the .300 Ultra Mag came along and put it out of business.  If you plan on hunting with it you should consider using some of the premium bullets. The plastic tipped bullets like the Nosler Ballistic Tip have great BC but they do tend to come apart at the magnum velocities.

A 180 grain bullet over the top of 111.0 grains of H1000 gives about 3400 fps with a 26 inch barrel well within specs. I have two friends who shoot that caliber and they are shooting closer to 3300 fps with around 100 grains of H4831.

3400fps is a little quick, but is listed in three manuals, stick with anything that stays well under an inch at 100 and will stay together at that speed.

Start with Hodgdons H1000 and play around at that burn rate. Anything faster will cause high pressures.

I can see no advantages or disadvantage that would prevent me from buying either 30-378 or 300Ultra. But at the same time John Lazzaroni (sp) has a real missle thrower in his large .308" cartridge. About 50fps or a little more if load data can be believed than even the 300Ultra, but with better case life at high velocities.

I have been lucky and compared five different 30cal monsters and if it was my money I would go with the 30-378 or the Lazzaroni cartridge. But then again it WILL have to wait until I finish my 50BMG, maybe??

gmiprod

I know it is just a forum, and any comments here should be taken with a grain of salt; sometimes a whole handful of salt...but I just see NO USE for the whopper 30 Mags like the Ultra, Lazzaroni, or the big Weatherby.  Almost everything about them is a minus IMHO when compared to regular 30 Mags.  Barrel life, RECOIL, expense, accuracy??, weight, etc.  

Gancel Fitz killed the modern North American Grand Slam with the lowly 30-06, and really how many hunters are there who can really put the attributes of those huge mags to use?  Not one in 5000, I would bet.

The original question is mute.  If you just have to have one of the Whoppers, get the Lazzaroni, it is the only one of the really big ones that will shoot a 180 at 3500fps that I have personally witnessed; and after all, if you are questioning a 180 at 3400, forget that idea.  Step up to the plate and hit the big ball, go for 3500fps.  In for a penny, in for a pound!!!