Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags not dropping free now

Fireant

Don't put your mags in a vice!!!

It seems that STI may have changed suppliers for the grips, or they're using new molds. My SV mags did the same thing when I put a new grip on just recently. I wound up taking a dremel tool with a stone on it and taking some material off all the way around from the very bottom to about half way up (they don't bind near the top). Just a little trial and error and now they drop free just fine. It's messy and a pain, but it's hard to get around it. STI mags seem to still drop free just fine. R,

It seems that STI may have changed suppliers for the grips, or they're using new molds. My SV mags did the same thing when I put a new grip on just recently. I wound up taking a dremel tool with a stone on it and taking some material off all the way around from the very bottom to about half way up (they don't bind near the top). Just a little trial and error and now they drop free just fine. It's messy and a pain, but it's hard to get around it. STI mags seem to still drop free just fine. R,

You are correct, I made mention of this a couple of months ago in a different thread and was basically ridiculed because of it. The grips are just another reason why I have quit buying from STI. I realize that they are still the only grip in the game, but I now purchase one knowing that I will have to work on it to make the mags fall correctly, and it is all thanks to that great quality control from STI.

Do not vise your mags as you said they dropped fine from your old grip, so what has changed other than the grip? Nothing .

I have noticed that the material even feels different than the old grips. I trade people for old grips whenever I can just to make sure I get grips that are more consistant.

When SV comes out with their new grip it will be expensive but I bet it will be worth the wait and the expense as it will work.

I have some sti guns that I still shoot and enjoy but I wont be buying anymore as they seem to be de-evolving the gun instead of trying to come out with new innovations.

I had 6 new SV mags and 5 of them wouldn't drop freely from my SV gun.

I put the mags on my beltsander :surprise: and sanded the front and back strap where the welds are. Which looks like that's what they had done at the factory with the exception that I used a finer grit so it looks a little better. I also took a file and sandpaper to the inside of the magwell @ the MSH.

All mags drop and work perfectly now.

Note; I put dykem on the mags to see where they were rubbing.

You are correct, I made mention of this a couple of months ago in a different thread and was basically ridiculed because of it. The grips are just another reason why I have quit buying from STI. I realize that they are still the only grip in the game, but I now purchase one knowing that I will have to work on it to make the mags fall correctly, and it is all thanks to that great quality control from STI.

Do not vise your mags as you said they dropped fine from your old grip, so what has changed other than the grip? Nothing .

I have noticed that the material even feels different than the old grips. I trade people for old grips whenever I can just to make sure I get grips that are more consistant.

When SV comes out with their new grip it will be expensive but I bet it will be worth the wait and the expense as it will work.

I have some sti guns that I still shoot and enjoy but I wont be buying anymore as they seem to be de-evolving the gun instead of trying to come out with new innovations.

I think what some folks commented on about your previous thread was the quality control issue. I'm not certain either way whether it's quality control or a change in specs (slightly) or just new molds that are a tiny bit different. I've worked on quite a few grips in the last few months and haven't seen any quality issues. They do seem to have a smaller opening, but it's consistently smaller....maybe a slight deviation from the last spec is what's causing the problem. I have noted that most of the time, STI mags fall free okay. If they're working from a new mold(s) and STI mags normally drop free, I can't see why they'd think anything was wrong. SV mags definitely have a different shape and I can't imagine that STI would make any effort to tailor their grips to work with SV mags....sorta counter-productive. Since mag tubes all have some variation, I can see why sometimes even STI mags won't drop free from and STI grip, but you'd think they'd want a little more margin of error built in. It is annoying to those of us who use SV mags, but I'm not certain the new grips are any lower quality compared with the old ones....they seem to fit fine otherwise and in cutting and grinding on them, the material seems to be very consistent. R,