Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bruce Lee Quote

BigDave

You said it more eloquently than I did. I agree with you. People are always influenced to some degree by their surroundings. It would be silly to think otherwise.

L

Thanks. I didn't drop out of grad school for nuthin' ya' know! ;)

-ld

I would have went on to grad school, but my stomach is dead set against being empty for that long. Hello, USAF! "Free" Food, "Free" Clothes, steady job, steady paycheck (1st Enlistment). I reenlisted for the second and subsequent times (3) for the right reasons (patriotism, service, duty, honor) in addition to retirement (a necessity and a different type of security). ;)

L

• 3 weeks later...

I remember eagerly awaiting my pre-ordered copy of Tao of Jeet Kune Do in the mid-seventies. It greatly impacted me at the time because it challenged many unconscious assumptions, and offered new perspectives on stress-related behavior. Today it still remains as one of my most underlined, questioned marked, pages ripped out books on my shelf. I felt as if he was speaking to me directly. Then later, when I learned that his philosophical guide was J Krishnamurti, I understood why. There's some good stuff in there...

be

A student first steps on the path when he realizes that he is the opponent.

I feel Jeet Kune Do is more of a philosophy than a martial art.

I totally agree! This is the truth. Bruce was about developing an individual's attributes. He didn't believe in trying to peg square holes.

On another subject--as far as us not knowing what Bruce meant to convey with his writings, the book "Zen in the Martial Arts" contains several examples where the author quizzed Bruce on some of his sayings. Get the book and you will hear it explained in Bruce's own words. My favorite Bruce saying is "If someone grabs you, hit em'." The simplicity here is incredibly complex. On my first day in Kenpo, the first thing the teacher did was ask the class "What do you do if someone grabs you?" He then proceeded to teach us a complex set of moves and punches and stupid stuff that was very confusing. Now if he was just teaching us a form for coordination and what not, that would have been one thing. But he was representing it as "self-defense". Trust me, if someone grabbed me after the class and I tried to perform the technique, I would have lost! Spending the time learning how to throw a punch, and how it feels to hit something, would have been much more beneficial.

• 7 years later...

I am surprised that no one has asked the question... What does it mean to you? What does it inspire in you or make you think about? The greatness in the author has nothing to do with what they meant, but what great ideas they make you think of. You are the greatness of the author. What Bruce Lee or Tolkien's intention was doesn't matter as much what it means to you as the reader.

Another thought that seems to be missing, is that we all say things that change people's lives, most of us never realize it, just like authors.

Have a most enjoyable experience basking in the greatness that is you.

Brooke