Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9X21 virgin brass

Dennis Loh

I am trying to source some good quality 9X21 virgin brass for reloading to 9X21 major load. Can anybody provide some tips as to where to source from as 9X21 is no longer a popular cal for IPSC?

With the p.f. lowered to 165 I think it will be easier on the gun and also to reload to make major safely without pushing it to the limit. Any suggestions as to what bullet grain to use:- 124, 130, 135 and so forth.  

• 9 months later...

The Win. brass is superior, but there is nothing wrong with the Starline.  There was a feller selling once fired Win....I'll see if I still have his email.

I settled on 7-something of 3N37 with 124's.  (We're talking 9X21 short here.....)  That seemed to be the magic load in my P9.

I shoot two 9x21 Caspians, currently with 115gr JHP at power factor 182 (gun works best at old power factor).

Winchester stopped making 9x21 brass a couple of years ago,  but there was quite a bit in the pipeline. You can still find it sometimes. I have a few thousand new ones stashed away.

I always preferfed Tangfolglio (TF headstamp) brass, as it seemed to last longer and the headstamp made it easy to separate from the (evil) 9x19 brass at the range (much of which is Winchester). I still have 2000 or so new TF brass in Tupperware storage, but no one has imported it to the USA since EAA ran out many years ago now.

I had a bad experience with a large soft lot of Starline brass (I still have 1000+ rounds loaded that I cannot fire in my guns), and stocked up on Tanfoglio (TF) 9x21 and Winchester a few years ago. I've not heard of any problems in several years with Starline, but once burned, twice shy.