Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did I get taken

jlopez

If I need to work on a gun I prefer that it be at least somewhat dirty. I can see more about how that gun is working in a dirty gun than I can in a clean gun. If it is filthy I will charge for the cleaning. The amount of crud in some guns is absolutely amazing, even to me, and I am really bad about cleaning my own guns. I have had to give my open gun a bath because it was so dirty that the mags wouldn't drop free anymore, and it is far from the dirtiest gun I have seen......

One other point. The guy had the parts on hand, he didn't have to order them in. That's an important part too. One question: did the 'smith disassemble & clean everything on the pistol, or just fix what was broken? I suspect you got some first class emergency service that holiday weekend. Time will tell...

• 3 weeks later...

I could understand the clean and inspect charge. After all wouldn't you be kinda torqued if you got the gun back and found another problem that he missed bacause the gun was dirty? And the barrel issue is probably as another poster mentioned. He maybe noticed that due to longterm damage and abuse (through no fault of yours, but possibly the previous smith that failed to recognize an issue) after he fit a new link and test fired it. There is no way to notice all the problems a gun may have without firing it. And when he test fired it he probably noticed some other barrel issues. All in all I think the bill was reasonable given the timing of the repair.

Just to chime in a bit. I'd rather get a clean gun to work on than dirty. There is something to be said about "seeing" what's wrong with it in the filth but it's still a pain in the ass. If he didn't disclose the cleaning fee up front (I guess he didn't) I'd be a little torqued but it would have taught me a lesson (as it did you). Drop off clean gun to gunsmith.

As for price. At first I thought it a bit high, then after re-reading the situation it seems OK. Depends on whether or not he'll stand behind his work if you have another issue.

Don't sweat the new barrel comment.

Post deleted - Admin

Posting Guidelines

Attitude

Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.

No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.

Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.

Edited by Flexmoney