Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 Load Suggestions (Please)

badata2d

I have been loading pistol for years and am going to start on 223. I would appreciate some starting suggestions on loads, particularly suggestions on bullet weight.

20 inch Rock River Arms National Match

1:8

Stainless Heavy Barrel

This will be for plinking at the range out to 300 yards.

thanks...

I have been loading pistol for years and am going to start on 223. I would appreciate some starting suggestions on loads, particularly suggestions on bullet weight.

20 inch Rock River Arms National Match

1:8

Stainless Heavy Barrel

This will be for plinking at the range out to 300 yards.

thanks...

I've had good luck with the following load - it's pretty accurate out to 300 yards.

Montana Gold 55gr FMJ-BT

25.0 gr AA2230

Win Small Rifle Primer

2.255 OAL

With this load, I get 2932 FPS out of a 16" JP barrel for a 161 PF.

55gr. loads are great for plinking and close in matches out to 300yds.

but with a 1/8 barrel I would utilize that and play with the 68,69, even 77gr bullets

for some really awsome acuracy out at 300yds. The heavier bullets are considerably

more expensive but worth it and they usually prefer slightly slower powders such as

Varget..

Even more then with pistol, when you find that special load, you'll know it !!

55gr. loads are great for plinking and close in matches out to 300yds.

but with a 1/8 barrel I would utilize that and play with the 68,69, even 77gr bullets

for some really awsome acuracy out at 300yds. The heavier bullets are considerably

more expensive but worth it and they usually prefer slightly slower powders such as

Varget..

Even more then with pistol, when you find that special load, you'll know it !!

With that in mind... Sierra Matchking 69 gr. HPBT 26 grs. Varget.

just put a 1-8" sabre barrel on mine, so should pretty similar. i just got pretty spectacular results from the 75 hornady bullet, varget, LC cases, fed match primers. shot groups at 300. crazy accurate, 2700 fps, think i can get even more, so........ don't like to list powder charges, will say it was hot. hodgdon publishes data, go by that..... just got the barrel, and in comparison, the hornadys seemed better at 450+ than the 77's, nosler, sierra, berger. inside of 400, they were all good. the hornady's are just a little bit shorter, and i think they like the 1-8" twist better. my .02, YMMV......

In any rifle 1:9 or 1:8 I use a 69gr Sierra or Nosler with 23.5gr Benchmark, works every time, reliable & accurate.

For longer range (500+) I go with 75gr Hornady, 77gr or 80gr Sierra, with 4895, n140 or Varget whichever works best in the rifle at the time.

I'd have to go with benchmark as well with the 20" barrel and 69s. Varget works very well too if you're not planning on using a dillon powder drop which can be hit or miss. Varget is better in longer barrels.

23.5 grns of AA2230 with 69s is what we used in our old 5.56 chambered Olympic Ultra matches

My 1x8 likes anything 60-80 grains.

N133, n135, n140 are all excellent. I use N135 in my 16" barrels with 50s and 55s. Gives me max velocity and best accuracy. Haven't tried VHIT yet with 69s though. Will do so in the next few weeks in prep for Tri-Gun.

Unless hornady has gotten better I can't reccommend 68s or 75s from them. 69 Sierras were always a no-brainer with just about every powder.

I think 60 grn sierra hps were good shooting and relatively low cost but that was a few years ago. I haven't tried their 65 grn soft points yet.

80 grn berger or sierra with Varget for 600yds.

Nick

25.2 gr Ramshot Tac and 69 gr. Sierra MK's 20 in barrel. WARNING these are pretty hot. They shoot great, I'll probably dial them back .1-.2 grains and see if they still shoot the way I want.

I also shoot a RRA NM piece and use Sierra 77 grain match bullets with 24 grains of Varget, it seems to be a standard load for the Highpower guys. IMR4895 works well too but is more temperature sensitive. I know guys who swear by Reloader 15 but I have not used it. For practice I recently started loading 55 grain bullets with 25 grains of AA2460 and initial results were very satisfactory (AA2460 may not be the best choice with heavier bullets).

WARNING: Always consult a recently published reloading manual for recommended powder charges.

• 4 weeks later...

I shoot alot of 55 grain stuff. They work great for me out to 400 yards. I like the Hornady VMAX over 24.0 grains of Benchmark loaded to 2.2450" for accuracy and the boat tail FMJ for anything inside 150. I shoot it them of a Sabre Defence 16"/1 in 8 stainless barrel and an 18" Noveske 1 in 8 stainless. Velocities out of the 16" are about 2775 and just under 3000 from the 18"

I also interchange the VMAX with a 60gr. Hornady OTM for 3020 fps in the 18" and 2800 in the 16"

Both loads are sub MOA tack drivers at 100 and hold sub minute to 200. They open up slightly to MOA to 400. I have never had a problem taking a Larue down out to 400 with them either.

I have also found that Remington 7.5 BR primers tighten the groups up slightly over CCI or Win SRP.