Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hartford Vertical Milling Machine, Need Information

z40acp

I am looking at buying a Hartford Vertical Mill. It is a Bridgeport copy, 9x42 table wth a variable speed head. Does anyone have any information on these? When were they built? Were they made in Hartford or are they an overseas copy? Do they use Bridgeport parts and bearings? Quality? Thank you.

If I recall correctly they are an exact copy of a bridgeport. Had several in school. I THINK parts interchange. Quality was marginally less than a Bridgeport in an abusive tech school environment.

Hello: If I can remember correctly they are made offshore(Taiwon). I believe they are a direct copy of the Bridgeport. The parts will interchange between the two. I would look at all the mills you can. Unless you are going to use the mill everyday then I would look at all options. Some of the older mills with chrome ways seem to last forever. There is a new trend(ok not that new) that people are buying old machines and rebuilding them. After all, the way gas prices are, who is restoring old hot rods now. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric