Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

help with the "bouncy" barricades?

38stupid

Got to the cup, I think my first stage was the barricade, targets turn, I draw and place the

gun on the barricade, fire the 1st shot....BOING... the damn barricade swings for and aft

like one of those springy sign deals you see in front of gas stations :roflol:

Think I missed 2, maybe 3 shots. This was a practice session or something like that (2000...2002 ??)

so least I was aware of it for the big part of the match.

That brings up an interesting question. I would like to say first that I have no experience with shooting with "wings' on my gun. I built the gun a couple of years ago and

never had a chance to use it. I just pulled it out to start shooting again.

I shot a local match yesterday and shot the barricades. The club has individual barricades at the specified distances. I was playing with different grips on the gun/barricade

at each distance. I found what I thought was a decent grip and moved to the 3rd distance. That barricade was very LOOSE compared to the others. Needless to say

I could not settle the dot back on the target from shot to shot.

What is the preferred technique to use and does this help with the "bouncy" barricades?

Bob

The plywood at the Cup is 3/8 inch thick. When you set up on the barricade, use it to hold position side to side and up and down,

but don't lean forward or pull back on it. Hold the front to back motion of the gun the same as shooting offhand. This will work on

a solid barricade or one that is springy or one that is loose and waving around.

Bob,

Get the DVD "Shooting Clean My Way". It's the one that Doug Koenig put out with Lenny Magill. I believe that Brian sells it in his store. It will show you the proper way to use the Barricade. It's harder to explain it and would be better if you could see it.

You going to make it to Chambersburg?

Kevin

Bob,

Get the DVD "Shooting Clean My Way". It's the one that Doug Koenig put out with Lenny Magill. I believe that Brian sells it in his store. It will show you the proper way to use the Barricade. It's harder to explain it and would be better if you could see it.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

As is turns out my schedule may allow me to make the match(es). As I stated above, I am breaking in this new gun and need to get it running. I might come down

and not shoot for score just to get the experience and trigger time!

Hopefully I can talk Gary and some of his crew from Hornell to come down also!

I will try to order the video today...............

Bob

Bob,

Kevin

I finally got the DVD "Shooting Clean My Way" and saw that Doug (back in the day) shooting the right side of the barricade by drawing with the strong hand and doing a

transfer to the weak hand. I was told by some excellent shooters that the current method is draw the gun by grabbing the guns's scope with the strong hand and then

assuming the grip with the weak hand.

Is this the preferred method?

Bob

Bob,

Try both ways to find out which works best for you. I know good shooters who use one or the other with success. It seems to boil down to practice with whichever method you decide upon. Kevin & I both use the "switch hand" like Doug, but Martin J. grabs the scope and that seems to work great for him.

Either way, it's practice, practice, practice! :surprise:

Alan~^~

See ya' in C'burg next weekend! Gary's already signed up, so come on down & shoot with us!

Bob

When I shoot the week side, I grab the grip below the trigger guard. This gives me a real firm hold but leaves an ample amount of room for my week hand to slide across for a positive grip in the transfer. The trick with Barricade is it is all about technique. You need to practice that until you can do it in your sleep. Remember as you move back, you have more time, be as fast out of the holster and to the Barricade at 10 as you are at 35, if you do that you have the time you need to be sure of your shots.

GrantJ ;)

Bob,

Kevin

I finally got the DVD "Shooting Clean My Way" and saw that Doug (back in the day) shooting the right side of the barricade by drawing with the strong hand and doing a

transfer to the weak hand. I was told by some excellent shooters that the current method is draw the gun by grabbing the guns's scope with the strong hand and then

assuming the grip with the weak hand.

Is this the preferred method?

Bob

Bob,

For me it depends on three factors.

One, the holster and how easily it will permit me to have the gun.

Two, the weight or perceived balance of the gun when drawing it for the exchange.

Three, the type of scope used. Some are easy to get a grip on consistently, some are not.

This is one a s Alan said, you have to try it for yourself, and see which works best for you, with your equipment. I would seek the method which gives you a consistent grip, that will enable a consistent exchange and re-grip with a minimum of ooops and consistent quick on target aims, whether they be barricade mount or weak hand only string.

MJ :cheers:

Bob,

For me it depends on three factors.

One, the holster and how easily it will permit me to have the gun.

Two, the weight or perceived balance of the gun when drawing it for the exchange.

Three, the type of scope used. Some are easy to get a grip on consistently, some are not.

This is one a s Alan said, you have to try it for yourself, and see which works best for you, with your equipment. I would seek the method which gives you a consistent grip, that will enable a consistent exchange and re-grip with a minimum of ooops and consistent quick on target aims, whether they be barricade mount or weak hand only string.

MJ :cheers:

FWIW is am shooing on a caspian slide and frame with a stick shift mover mount with a Aimpoint Compm3 4 Min dot. It a sturdy rig but it does weight a ton!

I used a 6" barrel with an aluminum 3 port comp. (9MM).

It seems easy enough to grab the scope but what I find myself is struggling to turn off the safety without getting thumb drag on the slide. I guess I could add shields to my

safeties.

I am getting the parts together to make my steel / wood barricade (I HAD to design it in Solidworks!) As you guys say.........practice, practice, practice.

Thanks for the info.

Bob