Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB - 38 Super using 9mm & 38spl dies?

Hello to all!

I am very glad to find this forum, I've learned tons just from reading through all the existing posts. Ok, not ALL, but the ones that caught my eye. :surprise:

I have a SDB with dies for 45ACP, 9mm, 44 mag/spl & 38/357 mag. I am thinking of getting a 38 Super pistol, but before I do that, with the price of ammo, I will be set up to reload them.

My question is, will the combination of the 9mm shell plate and 38 dies work, or will I have to get a new set of dies?

Thanks, James

You'll have to get a new set of 38 super dies. The shell plate will depend on what kind of 38super brass you use. There are three different common types, 38super, 38supercomp, and 38 TJ.

Search this forum, and you find out the details of the differences. Basically, the 38comp has a rim, and the 38supercomp and 38TJ are rimless.

For many people, the rimless version fit into the magazines with greater ease and more reliability. The only difference is the extractor. Usually, if you tune your extractor to run rimless, you can also run rimmed cases, but they may land in a different spot.

Anyway, there is a different shell plate for the rimless. The 9mm shell plate works for the 38 super, but the 38supercomp and 38TJ use the 223 size shell plate. I know, the SDB doesn't do rifle cartridges, but they do have a shell plate to fit the rimless.

Oh, and if you go rimless, don't buy Armscor brass. There's nothing wrong with them, however, their variation in rim thickness is not compatible with the tight shell plates in the SDB. Starline has less variation, and you won't have to throw away 10% of it...

I have a SS in .38 super and love it. I don't love the price of ammo and new brass. Used brass (if you can find it) is of unknown quality is an ify proposition and sometimes expensive. Not trying to talk you out of it but just a few facts. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Richard

I have a SS in .38 super and love it. I don't love the price of ammo and new brass. Used brass (if you can find it) is of unknown quality is an ify proposition and sometimes expensive. Not trying to talk you out of it but just a few facts. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Richard

Yea, seriously, that's another point. For what purpose are you going to use the 38super? Since 9mm can go 'major' in open class, maybe consider it instead.

+1 for Dillon's answer above.

My SDB loads 9mm, 38 Super and 38 Supercomp without changing the shell plate, buttons or powder funnel. I just use a different sizing die and adjust the other dies to suit.

Umm, you sure about that? 9mm and 38super is the #5 shell plate, 38supercomp is the #3 shell plate.

QUOTE(Dillon1050 @ Jun 25 2008, 11:01 PM)

+1 for Dillon's answer above.

My SDB loads 9mm, 38 Super and 38 Supercomp without changing the shell plate, buttons or powder funnel. I just use a different sizing die and adjust the other dies to suit.

Umm, you sure about that? 9mm and 38super is the #5 shell plate, 38supercomp is the #3 shell plate.

I know few people that do this. I think when you brass is in good condition and you lubricate it properly you can get away with it. But Jeff you are right the correct shellplate for Supercomp is #3.

I have seen some people get cases stuck in the sizing die if they do not lube properly or their brass is bashed up. It is not worth the hassle for the suppossed saving.

Wow, thanks for everyone's response!

I'm not even sure I will go with a 38 super. I want a 9mm 1911(that's affordable ;) ) and thought of getting a Rock Island in 38 Super, and then just getting a 9mm barrel and mag to shoot more 9mm. Then I would still have the option of the 38 Super, for what ever reason.