Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help..vent Rib 22in Sx2/gold

Les Snyder

first of all congratulations to Jeff Cramblitt and all the range officers for an outstanding match.... second, the 1100 magazine spring and trigger group from 1987 hiccupped on me... I've been looking at the WinSX2/ Browining Gold actions as they seem a lot more robust in the extractor and bolt link area....but want a vent rib rather than a rifle sighted barrel...I haven't seen any of the field grade SX2's and am not sure if they are made with a factory 21 or 22inch vent rib barrel with chokes....or would I have to get a longer barrel and have it cut and choked.... any comments would be appreciated.... Les

Les,

Looking at the winchester site they do a 24' ribbed barrel, and I have been thinking of getting one for limited class.

I currently use a 11/87 and am used to the rib, however the I have bought an SX2 and the SX2 rib is quite pronounced and is more like a trap rib - I think it is going to take some getting used to for the higher sight picture in quick mounting shots.

good luck

thanks guys... I just looked at a Briley conversion on a Browning Gold Stalker....didn't get a chance to ask about the price of the magazine tube,but I'm sure its pricey.....it sure seems that if someone would make a reasonable priced mag tube, Winchester could sell a ton of them, especially if the synthetic stocked field grade models came with an optional vent rib turkey barrel.... the current trend using clay birds on stands makes an excellent target, and allows you to use the shotgun for what it was designed to do, and not be a large caliber slug rifle ... please keep me in mind if you run across a factory solution.... regards Les

my Citori GTI is an older version with early Invector chokes, and no back bore or forcing cone reaming, and I can't tell much difference between it a friends later Special Sporting with all that work done

Les,

I had a Browning Gold Stalker modified by Briley. They cut the barrel to 22", and installed their VERY thin-walled choke tubes. It's well done, but I'm not sure what that mod alone would cost. They did the Cooley package for me, which also included the extended mag tube among other things. Email me if I can be of any help.

-Deke

Deke... and others, thanks for the reply, my friend had the Cooley package done and the barrel shortened.... haven't had a chance to shoot it yet... I really like the handling of my 1100, but it left several shells on the lift that didnt trip the latch at the Alabama match... one in a most inopportune time on the virginia count speed stage...when I got home I found that the hammer pin had peened out, and the washer was missing... also had a sticking magazine follower... I made an aluminum follower,and new Wolff spring....I like the looks of the oversized extractor and bolt link of the Win/Browning design... the Briley mag extension lists for $65, but of exceptional quality.... If I can find a 24inch Stalker and add the tube, I think I'll make the plunge...Kyle's match might be a little tough (I shot a 26inch the first year) but for most of the matches we shoot, the extra 2 inches probably isn't worth the effort... I've been looking at the web sites for Win and Browning... and the youth model comes with the shorter barrel also... havent looked at the FN site yet... It sure would be nice if they offered the Practical with a 22inch vent rib.... there surely are a few that would like that option... again thanks for the reply....RKGSMITH.... tempting offer... regards Les