Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision Bullet Residue

Carlos

Recently bought my 1st 1K of Precision coated lead 147s for use in 9x19mm and have used about 1/2 of them loaded over V V powder to just over minor (about 850 to 890 FPS). I have shot about 300 to 500 out of my stock Glock 17. I do not clean my pistol barrels at all (ever) just the chambers - to see why, look at this link under "cleaning":

http://www.schuemann.com/

However, when I examined the Glock barrel yesterday, I found a great deal of residue in/on the lands and grooves. What is worse, its in the front of the chamber too. A brush wrapped w/ a CLP soaked patch came out of the barrel totally black as did many many following patches. It did not all come out. It is soaking in Kroil at home right now to try to loosten some of this stuff.

1) what is this stuff? 2) how do I get rid of it?

I know Precision's site says the bullets are "Polymer coated" & some claim its not Moly, but rather polymer. Others claim its moly mixed w. polymer. Anyone know for certain? If its moly, what works best to remove it? I have heard it never really goes away but what works best to remove most of it? I may just have to switch back to all jacketed or plated. Not planning on switching back to barrel cleaning!

I don't clean my barrel either, but unless you're using coarse grinding compound I seriously doubt that cleaning can hurt a Glock barrel. The surface finish is too hard to damage it without serious effort on your part.

Normal cut-rifled barrels are a different animal altogether.

Regardless, I'd cough up the dough for jackets before I resorted to scrubbing gunk out of barrels again. I *hate* doing that. What a total waste of time.

EricW wrote: "Regardless, I'd cough up the dough for jackets before I resorted to scrubbing gunk out of barrels again. I *hate* doing that. What a total waste of time. "

Amen to that, brother! Thank you, (coated bullets) and GOODNIGHT! Jacketed/plated bullets, here I come.

Guest Larry Cazes

Maybe I'm a bit strange but I don't mind the 5 minutes it takes to clean the barrels on my guns. I also don't believe that any materials or techniques that I use could harm them. Well, enough of that.........Back to the bullets. Carlos, I used to shoot quite a few of the bear creek bullets which have a waxxy coating with Moly and I experienced a similiar residue in my barrel and throat. Current wisdom among the benchrest rifle folks I know is NOT to clean out the moly buildup in the barrel. Once the barrel is "conditioned" with Moly, leave it there. Most use Kroil to clean their barrels which apparently does not remove most of the Moly. My concern is that any material buildup in the chamber or throat might cause a significant rise in chamber pressure if not removed. Are these bullets significantly chaeper then copper plated like WestCoast? The bear creak were, but I chose to go to plated bullets to cut down on the amount of lead laden smoke my wife and I were breathing during indoor shooting sessions.

Maybe I'm a bit strange but I don't mind the 5 minutes it takes to clean the barrels on my guns.

You're a better man than I Gunga Din. It takes me WAAAY longer to clean a really leaded/gunked up barrel than five mins.

I've been using nothing Precision for about the past 5-6000 rounds, and have found no coating in my gun or stock barrel. I cleaned my G34 yesterday getting ready for FGN, and only found normal fouling in the gun(LOTS of AA#5 :wacko::wacko: ). Could it be that the round doesn't have enough powder, therefore not burning everything off? My 147's are running at about 950 or so to about 138+/- Power factor. I've heard of Precision bullets running at or over 1500 FPS out of 38 Supers trying to make Major in Open without any leading or abnormal grouping.

Carlos, I also had the same problem shooting Precision bullets. What looked to be leading streaks in the grooves. I was unable to remove it using conventional means. My gun is a G30 with a KKM barrel. I called Precision about this and was told that their bullets do this in some barrels. Their recommendation to me was to soak the barrel in a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar for five minutes HOWEVER they told me to only do this if the barrel was stainless. I tried it and it cleaned it slicker than a whistle. I've since started using hard cast bullets. It did the same to my Dad's Gov. 1911. Because his was carbon steel, he ended up shooting it out with FMJ Bullets. I've heard of this before but most people shoot Precision with no fouling. I have no idea what the fouling was, only that it's a real bear to clean.

Bronson7

Hey BJ! I still have about 300 or so of the precision 147s so I may give them another shot after York this weekend. I do switch between jacketed Wideners 147s and Precision coated - could that be part of the problem? To be on the safe side, I am shooting the jacketed 147s this weekend.

BTW, I chronoed 130 at the Summerblast & accuracy was good enough to clean that all steel stage in about 10 seconds w/o prior cleaning (sorry to say that my best stage of the match was the chrono stage!).

I have had Kriol in the 17 barrel for 2 days now and if that does not do it, I will also try that weird German stuff Ballistol & let you know what happens. As a last resort, there is always JB bore paste. See you at York.

I had the same problem and it was suggested by Precision to use the JB Bore Cleaner sold by Brownells. But it really was a lot of work in my Kimber .45 barrel.

I'm shooting Montana Gold bullets now, they are not as accurate as lead or the precisions bullets, but they are much easier to clean up after and produce no smoke.

I do switch between jacketed Wideners 147s and Precision coated - could that be part of the problem?

It might well be. Jacketed bullets leave a rough fouling in the bore. It's not as noticeable as lead because it's not as thick, but it's much harder. Fire lead - or apparently Precision coating - through a barrel after jacketed, without first cleaning out the metal fouling, and it'll strip lead (or Precision coating, apparently) all the way down the barrel.