Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front sight width?

Xfactor

On my 4.25" full size M&P I currently have a Warren Tactical rear sight (~.150" notch) and a .125" Speed Shooter Specialties f/o front sight. I have no complaints about this ratio per se, but I'd like to try something a little narrower on my next gun (5" M&P Pro Series)... I''m hoping that a little more daylight around the front sight will allow me to pick it up faster. (I think I remember from BE's book that he likes his front sight to take up just over 1/3 of the rear notch width in his guns, so I thought I give something approximating that ratio a try... )

So please vote in the poll with what works for you :cheers:

(Also, please post with your barrel length for a frame of reference... )

Thanks,

On my fullsize M&P, I am currently running a full dawson setup - .130 rear, .100 front. The front sight is MUCH too narrow for my liking. Fast, but not so accurate without very deliberately trying.

My Kimber is wearing a .140/.125 setup that I think is just about perfect.

I just guessed at the dimension, haven't played much with 4" sight radius guns for competition......

I want the front sight to have EQUAL light bars on each side, this allows me to see what is on the sides of what I am shooting at, and like a peep sight does not compromise accuracy at all. I also want the front sight as tall as I can use, meaning that I want it as tall as I can get it and still zero the gun with the height of the rear sight, this allows me to see what is UNDER what I am shooting at.

In iron sights I want ALL the information I can get, and to get that information I have to be able to SEE.

The one M&P Pro I looked at the other day had a fiber optic front on it that was either .110 or .115, I can't remember which, with a rear sight I've never seen before. I would suggest waiting until you get your hands on it and, if you don't like the sights, change the rear first and see if you like the front width before deciding on that. I do know that the 5" uses a different height front sight.

So far the poll results look pretty evenly divided between the narrower side (.090/.100) and the wider side (.115/.125). I've noticed that those that prefer a wider front sight generally mention that it's due to accuracy issues with a narrower sight... I wonder if there's any correlation to those preferring a narrower front sight being the A-class and up crowd (?)

So far the poll results look pretty evenly divided between the narrower side (.090/.100) and the wider side (.115/.125). I've noticed that those that prefer a wider front sight generally mention that it's due to accuracy issues with a narrower sight... I wonder if there's any correlation to those preferring a narrower front sight being the A-class and up crowd (?)

On my M&P9 I first ran a .100" SSS fiber front sight with a Warren rear and it's VERY fast up close to 15yds or so, but small targets 20yds and further is where the accuracy starts to drop off. I now use a .115" Warren fiber front with the same Warren rear sight. It's only a little slower up close but much better for distance. I think for the M&P using a Warren rear a fiber front width between .105"-.110" would be best if anyone ever custom made one.

Robb TY54065 Prod B class 73.48%

Edited by gotm4

On my M&P, I am using the Warren tactical rear .150 with a .125 Dawson fiber optic front. I like this combo very much. As my eyes get older I am able to pick up the larger front sight better.

Edited by cztn

On my M&P9 I first ran a .100" SSS fiber front sight with a Warren rear and it's VERY fast up close to 15yds or so, but small targets 20yds and further is where the accuracy starts to drop off. I now use a .115" Warren fiber front with the same Warren rear sight. It's only a little slower up close but much better for distance. I think for the M&P using a Warren rear a fiber front width between .105"-.110" would be best if anyone ever custom made one.

Thanks Robb. Did you find that your front sight width preference changed at all as you progressed up to "B"?

Thanks Robb. Did you find that your front sight width preference changed at all as you progressed up to "B"?

I've been a B for a long time so I went from a .100" from early on while using the M&P to the now .115" while a B, I now prefer a front thats not too thin depending upon the width of the rear sight. When I shot a Glock in Production (mostly when I was a C class shooter) I used a .105" but didn't notice accuracy problems then BUT then againt my average was about 50-65%

I would like to thin down my current front sight on my M&P a little maybe down to .110" to start with.

My Limited gun has a .100" fiber front a Bomar Combat and I've opened the rear notch a tiny bit.