Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super reload?

Bigpops

May sound stupid BUT...I was told that most people that shoot 38 super do not reload after the initial loading. Is this true?

The explaination given to me was that the pressures required tend to wear out the cases anyway.

I am planning on getting a 38 Super and would appreciate any comments or thoughts.

Whom ever told you that doesnt shoot .38 super. At $.15 per case

you gotta get as many reloadings as you can!

May sound stupid BUT...I was told that most people that shoot 38 super do not reload after the initial loading. Is this true?

The explaination given to me was that the pressures required tend to wear out the cases anyway.

I am planning on getting a 38 Super and would appreciate any comments or thoughts.

Not true at all. Decent Super brass should give you ten reloads or so...maybe more depending on your gun and the exact load. For the first five or so cycles I keep them as match brass and then they go into the practice bin.

That's a load of bull.

Most competition loads for the 38 Super run at relatively high pressure.

The cases probably won't last as long as a low pressure round like a .45

However, any load that would render a case unusable after one firing is way too hot.

Most, shooters that reload the super are comfortable with at least 5 or 6 firings before retiring the cases.

That said, I don't even think of picking up brass at a major match.

Most of them are lost brass matches anyway.

At club matches I may go back and pick it up but often don't in spite of the expense.

There's no time while the squad is shooting.

Later, if my back hurts from being on my feet all day and I am tired and hot, I may decide to sacrifice the brass and go find a cold beer.

When I practice it's usually a lot of stand and shoot drills.

The brass is pretty much in a given area and easy to find.

Then I definitely pick them up.

Shoot them until the cases won't pass the same inspection criteria that you would apply to any other caliber.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

• 1 month later...

Update on my Longshot load. I have one batch of brass that has been through my gun 8 times and the headstamp is nice and crisp, primer pockets aren't as tight as new but not far off. This brass is running through my gun again this week and next.

Joe W.