Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chance

ChrisStock

Yesterday I acquired Chance from the Humane Society. They were calling him "Piggy", but that wouldn't do for me.

Chance3.jpg

He is the 8 week old Lab/Beagle mix responsible for the suitcases under my eyes this morning. I've always had Lab mixed hounds, so why break the chain? Not overly familiar with beagles, though, so this should be interesting.

He is the newest member of our pack, and joins the wife and I and her 9 month old Brussels Griffon, who is very much into rough prison sex with any dog he can mount, even though he is fixed.

Chance2.jpg

On Chance's decision to not be a victim, I LMAO, and the wife was shrieking when Chance discovered how to make that act stop right quick. Nothing like carefully applied sharp puppy teeth on a member to get the griffon out of his amorous mood. It's a dominance thing, I know, but the griffon doesn't know that he isn't going to get any bigger than 10 lbs, whereas Chance should be in the 50-60 lb. range. He is quite capable of defending himself, and we supervise playtime carefully to make sure it doesn't get too far out of control. Pecking orders need to be established, and Chance will be third in line behind the 2 legged pack members apparently.

Chance wears a black and white tux everywhere he goes, and has one white claw to contrast with the 19 black ones he has. His feet are as big as his head, and he has an appetite that a Mastiff would be proud of.

I got all of 3 hours of sleep last night, and have a 4 hour conference call with our Phoenix office this morning. I am glad that I am working from home, as I look like hell.

He has a lab's affinity for water, as established by the fact that he wouldn't pee unless he was standing in his predecessor's rather large water bowl up to his neck in water. He dropped his front two feet in and let go, then got in with all 4 feet for an impromptu bath.

He loves chasing ice cubes around,

Chance1.jpg

and should fit right in. It took me over 2 and a half years to train his predecessor to be a good trail dog, and who knows, this one may pick it up quicker. Here's to a conference call with a worn out pup at my feet. I wouldn't want it any other way. :D:cheers:

Beagles and Labs are IMHO two of the friendliest breeds I have know. There are short and tall versions of Beagle. If Chance's Beagle parent was a tall one, you may have a pretty large dog when grown.

All in all, he's a fine looking dog to have around. :cheers:

dj