Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What am I missing?

I am trying to assemble a used SD (1988 non B?) and the failsafe does not actuate the powder measure? I have it assembled per the instructions that came with the unit. However the SDB manual I downloaded has better directions and pictures and it would appear I am missing some parts.

Any help would be appreciated, I cannot call Dillon until Thursday the 15th. Twiddling fingers until then :wacko:

Pics of press

Thanks!

That's what mine looks like. The powder measure gets actuated by the case when it goes up and the failsafe just makes sure powder bar returns in powder measure on the upstroke. That wingnut should be about half compressed when handle is in full upstroke position. Hope that helps.

That's what mine looks like. The powder measure gets actuated by the case when it goes up and the failsafe just makes sure powder bar returns in powder measure on the upstroke. That wingnut should be about half compressed when handle is in full upstroke position. Hope that helps.

Right. There must be a case present in station #2 to actuate the powder measure.

The machine itself appears to be complete. Did you receive any primer pickup tubes, or the other size primer slide and primer magazine? Did you receive the large powder bar or any allen wrenches? Those accessory items are the only things not visible in the picture. :ph34r:

The machine itself appears to be complete. Did you receive any primer pickup tubes, or the other size primer slide and primer magazine? Did you receive the large powder bar or any allen wrenches? Those accessory items are the only things not visible in the picture. :ph34r:

Thank you for your reply,

Yes I did receive those items and also figured out what I was doing wrong or at least what I was misunderstanding. All is good now except set up for my .40 cal loads. I ordered a caliber change set of .40cal and thought they would come set up. My bad apparently... I have the dies and station 1 and 3 are working properly, 2 does not appear to be giving me enough flare or bell to start a bullet, the lead SWC are dragging down the sides of the shell case and do not appear to be "fitting" very well thus station 4 is not giving correct crimp.

I think I will call you folks this Thursday when I have time and go over the set up process. I have tested all functions of the machine and for being 20 years old it seems to work great. The previous owner said he only loaded a couple thousand rounds and it shows. The low primer alarm is cracked from being overtightened but still functional.

Thanks for your help!

Joe

On station 2, adjust the powder die downwards until a sized case is flared at least .010" larger than the unflared sized case. The powder bar should travel all the way over well before the handle bottoms out. If possible, be in front of your loader when you phone us. :ph34r:

On station 2, adjust the powder die downwards until a sized case is flared at least .010" larger than the unflared sized case. The powder bar should travel all the way over well before the handle bottoms out. If possible, be in front of your loader when you phone us. :ph34r:

That's why I am waiting until Thursday it's my day off :cheers: !

So I will have all day to concentrate on getting this set up :D

When do you open up in the am? I am CST

Thanks!

Joe