Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bizarre Lockup

Rob Boudrie

This has got to be the most bizarre gun failure I've encountered yet...

I was working at the Area 7 yesterday when a shooters S&W 625 locked up after firing two rounds and could not be opened. After the shooter and RO running the stage tried the usual things, I was asked to evacuate the unit to an empty pit and render assistance. Fortunately, rule 5.7.5 states "that under no circumstances is a competitor permitted to leave a course of fire in possession of a loaded handgun", so I served as an RO to take the gun to the other pit. (Nice wording by the rules committee)

Finally, after giving up on the normal steps, and confirming there was no round stuck between the cylinder and forcing code, I removed the side plate (yes, I did this correctly) and discovered that this was, in fact, the only way to open the cylinder and remove the 4 live rounds from the cylinder.

The interior portion of the cylinder release had broken off where it pushes on the doohicke that pushes the pin in the middle of the cylinder to unlock it. In addition to making it impossible to unlock the cylinder, the part fell down into the remainder of the action locking it up so the hammer could not be cocked and the cylinder not turned.

Fortunately, I was also able to give the shooter the name of a USPSA member who works in service at S&W and who will not give her grief about having the side plate removed before returning the gun for repair.

If it was Jackie's gun, tell her to e mail me. I have the part. She was working tomorrow also IIRC.

I have had a bolt break one time on my carry revolver. It happens but it is rare. With mine is was a 2.5" 66-1 shooting full magnum loads.

Regards,

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Sounds like MIM has another UN satisfied customer...... can't imagine why that piece would break.

I have worked on the gun before. Not a MIM gun. The bolt I had break was not MIM either.

Interesting and surprising. Still an odd part to have break.

Any theories as to why aside from the obvious (junk part)? maybe excess end shake lets the cylinder whack the thing on recoil?

Edited by bountyhunter

Sounds like MIM has another UN satisfied customer...... can't imagine why that piece would break.

I have worked on the gun before. Not a MIM gun. The bolt I had break was not MIM either.

Interesting and surprising. Still an odd part to have break.

Any theories as to why aside from the obvious (junk part)? maybe excess end shake lets the cylinder whack the thing on recoil?

I have not seen this one yet but when mine went, you could see the crystals in the part and it was just time to go. It is a 1972 manufacture 66-1 and the 625 we are talking about is same era.

Sometims flawed parts slip thru. It's not like they're x-rayed and certified. The MIM guns have been out a while, with the number or rounds IPSC/USPSA shooters put thru them any real shortcomings would be painfully obvious.

It was hers. She also needs a strain screw since we lost that :(.

I have spares also. Parts kit is pretty complete. I sent her an e mail. Hope she had her spare with her.

She did, and finished in fine shape.