Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Safety Help

Jeff686

I desperately need a new safety for my Gold Team. The standard Gold Team safety (lowered and extended version) does not work for me. I really need to get it installed, fitted, and tested before the Area 1 match (June 27th).

I think the 'extended' version would be perfect for my hand/grip. However, Henning is out of stock. I'm going to try directly from EAA on Monday.

I've located a safety from Rich at Canyon, which is a 'take-off' from the Elite Match.

My questions are:

Which safety is on the Elite Match? Is it the 'extended' version? (see the pics below)

Does anyone have an extended safety (ambi or non-ambi) they would sell me?

Elite Match out-of-the-box

Match-08.png

Picture of 'extended' safety

eaa.safety.extended.ambi.JPG

The one show on that match is the Extended which is their best feeling safety in my opinion.

They shouldn't need to be fitted.

If you can't find one and the reason you want to change it out is because you keep turning it on

you can grind the Gold Team one down so it doesn't stick out so much.

Edited by CAB33

Now that's a good idea. My only fear is I'd take the material off, I can't easily ad it back.

I'll have to have a good hard look at this idea...

Edited by Jeff686

the other option is to take a small needle file and enlarge the detent hole that holds the safety in the off position.

+ one on this, I shoot the same way and almost no surface on my safety. I did the same thing on my STI.

I can never shoot the wide safety? I'll have to do this when my tangfolio arrives! keep us posted.

Against my better judgement, I took a file to the detent hole. I was going to use a dremel, but decided that taking off a little at a time was best.

It feels like I significantly increased the 'engauge' force, but did not change the 'disenguage' force. Adding this to the prevous mods I made to the safety, I have hopes it will stay off while shooting.

We'll find out next Thursday (my regular practice day).

The Match uses the 'extended' safety. But, it is only a single sided safety. The sear is fitted to the safety, and being that the sear's position is dependent on the hammer, another OEM safety should fit very closely. There is a chance that you'll have to do some final fitting though.

A couple of other things you can try:

Try ordering your part from Sean at Freedom Ventures in Halifax. http://www.freedomventures.ca/home.htm He might be able to help you.

If that doesn't work you could look at the following:

I had an issue disengaging the safety consistently as well because my support hand thumb rides so high. I noted that the safety arm on the sear was fitted so that the safety had to be rotated all the way down before it would disengage. There was virtually no clearance between the leading edge of this arm and the trailing edge of the engagement lobe on the safety itself. Dressing the end of the arm down just a little gave me enough clearance that this doesn't happen anymore, and the safety still engages very positively and, well...safely. If you opt for this, go slow and take just a little at a time off. It might help your situation.

Thanks Rob!

I just sent email to Sean.

My safety used to move pretty freely between the stops. It was pretty easy for me to bump it enough to engage. Now that I've increased the detent, there is a much more positive position for on and off. I'll take a look at the safety/sear timing, as you suggest, and see if it will make any additional improvement.

Of couse, this is all a trial-and-error effort. I need to got shoot it enough to 'forget' about the problem, then see if it happens again...

Thanks Rob!

I just sent email to Sean.

My safety used to move pretty freely between the stops. It was pretty easy for me to bump it enough to engage. Now that I've increased the detent, there is a much more positive position for on and off. I'll take a look at the safety/sear timing, as you suggest, and see if it will make any additional improvement.

Of couse, this is all a trial-and-error effort. I need to got shoot it enough to 'forget' about the problem, then see if it happens again...

No problem-o. Just remember; a little goes a long way when removing metal.

Good luck.

R

Went out to practice this week. I didn't once bump it on. I think Rob's suggestion was the last bit that finally fixed the problem.

I got an extended safety (non-offset) from Rich. I'm going to install and test it, just in case.

Went out to practice this week. I didn't once bump it on. I think Rob's suggestion was the last bit that finally fixed the problem.

I got an extended safety (non-offset) from Rich. I'm going to install and test it, just in case.

Hey that's great news!

Now get out there and race.

R