Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magicicada septendecim

AikiDale

This is the year...

post-2337-1212245097.jpg

A question about sharpness.

I had a 105 micro nikkor lens, a tripod and a remote release.

How do the National Geographic guys get the wind to stop?

:D

Edited by AikiDale

Cool pic Dale :cheers:

Are those the big ones you can hear for miles??

If so...I have fond memories of them as a small boy...kinda hard to catch..usually at the top of a tall tree <_<

Out here we get small ones that dont buzz..they click

A few of those puppies can drive you insane at night :mellow:

Jim

Cool pic Dale :cheers:

Are those the big ones you can hear for miles??

If so...I have fond memories of them as a small boy...kinda hard to catch..usually at the top of a tall tree <_<

Out here we get small ones that dont buzz..they click

A few of those puppies can drive you insane at night :mellow:

Jim

Yep. I think they used the sound of them in a sci-fi movie, they sound like Martians to me. I bet Duane can tell us all about it. War of the Worlds maybe?

We had the cicada plague here about 4 years ago...they laid in piles around the yards and driveways. The worst part is when the "shells" start to rot and smell.

It seems there are always a few that wake up during the "wrong year" (I always wondered how those guys felt waking up on the wrong year) but that was the worst in recent history...according to the news-hype.

Hey maybe I could sell some leftover cicada t-shirts??

Yesterday as I was driving across KY (WK and Bluegrass Pky) I could hear them and I was driving 75 mph.

And since you asked for recipes...

http://www.wlwt.com/news/2968023/detail.html

Edited by hk_mtbr

Yesterday as I was driving across KY (WK and Bluegrass Pky) I could hear them and I was driving 75 mph.

If you are doing 75 MPH on a motorcycle and one of them collides with any part of your body, you will do more than just hear it.

The 17 year eruption 3 or 4 years back turned into a mess around here. Trying to jog without stepping all over them looked more like dancing or something from the "ministry of silly walks."

• 2 weeks later...

I remember one hatching as a kid. I had hatched a mallard duck as a science project. He became very fat that year. We filled pickle jars full of the cicadas. YUM YUM.