Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need suggestions for loading

40cal_joe

I am new to reloading due to the difficulty in finding lead bullets to shoot at the indoor range I belong to. I have purchased a used Dillon SDB, CCI small primers, 2500 rounds of once fired brass. and these bullets Magtech Bullets 40 S&W and 10mm Auto (401 Diameter) 160 Grain Lead Semi-Wadcutter Box of 100. If you have suggestions for a specific bullet I will take all the feedback I can get.

I have not purchased any powder, so I am looking for suggestions for that and how many grains would you suggest for these bullets? Looking for plinking and accuracy at this point.

Thanks for your help.

PS I will be loading .38's as well soon. So if there is a powder that will work for both that would be great!

I haven't loaded any 160gr lead bullets in the 40, but I have used the Lasercast 170 LSWC. I initially used Red Dot, but later went with 700X. There are numerous powders that will work. Check load manuals that list lead bullets. If they don't have the 160gr lead bullets, use the data for the next heavier lead bullet.

Work through the powder range to find the load your gun likes with respect to both reliable function and accuracy.

Guy

When I shoot lead I usually shoot a 180gr TC over WST. It may not punch a hole as clean as a SWC, but they shoot good and feed very smoothly. I ended up getting tired of adjusting my press back and forth between lead and jacketed so now I just shoot MG 180 Hp over the WST. My two year old doesn't like the MG's as much, I think the lead bullets are softer to chew on :surprise: .................and yes I'm just joking

I think the lead bullets have a sweeter taste. :roflol: plated ones seem a bit flat (need salt maybe).

I've been using Win 231 for both .40 and .45 jacketed bullets but find it a bit smokey. I plan on changing to WSF.

I like Unique for my .38 SPL loads (use a rather firm crimp).

Ken

Edited by NC Shooter

Lots of junk about TC on this board but is what I use, and although I am newer to loading than most that chime in my experience has been good.I shot a IPSC match got home looked at gun and saw the feed ramp didnt look like it needed cleaning ,so I used a Q-tip anyway on feed ramp only and put gun away without cleaning further.Next weekend I shoot tactical match when done look gun over still dont need cleaning.Few days later shoot 250rds in practice look at gun and now its looking like sompeople would have me beleive would be the case everytime I shoot it because TG is suppose to be so dirty.Not saying others arent cleaner but TG not so bad.My loads were for both matches 180gr lead Silver Cast bullets with no smoke,used brass,WSP primers and 4.5gr TG.

For practice only differ was 180gr Beaver Creek molly over 4.3gr TG.My gun is also SS and very little discoloring under barrel.

Edited by lucas

Thank you for your replies, I am stuck shooting lead for now (range is lead only). I am also very, very new to reloading so if you could shy away from acronyms it will help me out as I am not familiar with them yet. I do not know what WST or TC are.

Here is what I have to work with currently

Winchester Small Pistol Primers

Assorted brass 3000 pcs

Magtech 165g lead Semi wad cutters

Accurate Unique powder

Dillon Square Deal

The 165g bullets seem to be a bit more accurate to me, at least in factory loads. I am looking to get lots of practice!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for your help

If you are new to reloading in general, I'd suggest that you get a Speer, Hornady, or other bullet manufacturer manual or one of the good reloading basics books. Coming online is a good idea but most of the advice we give is based on experience and after reading these books that are a good resource. Even though the data is not exxactly the same, I would trust the information in the loading manuals first as a beginner. Once you've gotten some experience with some book learnin', then you can experiment with what you find on these forums. Just because it works for us in OUR guns.. that doesn't mean it will work for you in your gun. Read all about procedure in the loading manuals and you will get a pretty good idea of what works and what they reccomend. If you could find someone who is an experienced reloader in your area, all the better.

I have done quite a bit of reading already. I have an older version of a Hornaday manual, Alliant powders manual, one book/one caliber and my favorite 48th edition Lymans relaoding handbook. I also am going to sit one on one with a reloader from the gun club and he is going to help set up my system with me.

I am here just looking for some info on good powder/bullet combinations to start picking up some supplies.

Thanks again

Hope I didn't get you confused with the initials. WST is short for Winchester Super Target powder. It meters pretty good, burns good and isn't too dirty. The TC is for a truncated cone style of bullet. Sometimes they will feed a little better than a semi wadcutter because there is no rim to catch on things. Of course we have to add the disclaimer that your gun may vary. The MG is a Montana Gold jacketed hollow point. Unique powder has been around for a long time, and it has a wide range of applications. It could work good for you especially if you are loading several different calibers and are looking for one powder to cover a lot of ground. Many people don't like unique because they say it burns dirty, but there is supposed to be a newer formula of it out which burns cleaner. I haven't used any of the new stuff so I can't speak by experience. I prefer Federal primers but they are sometimes hard to find. When I can't get the Federals, I shoot Winchesters and have never had a problem with them. There are many good manuals out, but I think the Lyman book has as much info about cast bullets as anything out there. Good luck with your shooting and reloading. Although the path you are taking isn't the most popular one out there, it should work out. Things don't always have to be the most popular to work for your situation.