Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any way to figure out what springs are currently in my open gun?

ninefan

I recently picked up a used open gun with an STi frame and caspian slide/scheumann hybrid barrel.

Is there a simple way I can figure out what springs are in it now? I don't have any information from the previous owner on that.

Can I measure the wire diameter, length, etc of the recoil spring? Of course it may have been cut down also.

Or am I just going to have to buy a nice selection of springs and go shoot a lot of rounds through it until I find what it likes best?

:unsure:

Hmm, I was doing a bit of reading on the spring testers and that looks interesting.

Especially this one:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...l=spring+tester

If I build a spring tester it looks like I will end up having to buy a variety of springs anyway to match up the tested weight of the one in the gun with the new ones. Six of one, half dozen of the other I guess. :)

Buying a variety of springs is a good idea anyway when you buy a used gun. This way you have an accurate reference to what is in the gun. Plus you can now try out a few different # to see what feels and works best for you.

I am not sure if you reload or not but you may change you loads and need to match the spring to it as well.

This is all assuming you has a one peace rod and spring in the gun and not the STI Recoil Master...

Yeah, it has a one-piece full length rod in it.

I have a bunch of different powders on the way right now so I can give it a go with a variety of loads.

I will pick up a few different springs as well and start swapping them out once I find a load it likes.

Yeah, it has a one-piece full length rod in it.

I have a bunch of different powders on the way right now so I can give it a go with a variety of loads.

I will pick up a few different springs as well and start swapping them out once I find a load it likes.

The one issue to be aware of with spring testers and used springs is that springs aren't all that consistent. Some of them will be higher than listed, some lower and few right on. The other thing is that once the spring has been used a little bit they'll change....but not consistently. So, you might put a 9lb in it, shoot some and then check it and it'll be at 7lbs. Take an otherwise identical spring, put it in, shoot the gun some and test it and it'll come back at 9lbs. There's just no real way to tell what they're going to do and how they're going to work. There are even some that will turn into total mush after a couple hundred rounds and others that will take a set just below listed weight and stay that way for a long time. R,

• 1 month later...

I'm always afraid of mixing up springs while testing. Anyone ever try to label them? Maybe put a mark on the end or file a notch in the first 1/2 a coil, or paint them, or dychem. I wonder if I spun them over a marker, getting as much coverage as possible, if it would stay.

I guess during load/spring testing I can be diligent and keep them in their packages, but I'd love to have color coded system for switching between ISPC and Steel springs/loads.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is a month old but it does not seem you got the answer to your question. My wolf springs are listed by wire size. They came in diameters ranging from .047 (strongest) to .042 (lightest). Springs take a set and can be cut so the length will tell you little about its rating. Measuring the wire diameter and comparing it to a new one will give you a referance as to wheather you are going to go up or down in weight (or stay the same). The numbers listed are only what I have on hand and they come in a wider range than this.