Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Youngest Daughter in trouble

As a child, the correct protocol would be to notify a teacher or school official immediately. As an adult we are to dial 911 at the first sign of trouble. Taking the law into your own hands might be a noble thing to do, but it can sure get you in a lot of trouble.

It's not quite taking the law into your own hands as much as defending from bodily harm at the immediate time the situation happened. Dialing 911 only gives the responding officers paper work to do. Bodily harm has already happened. Yes, the anti's wants us to believe that dialing 911 will save your lives and is the only thing to do - stems from reporting the incident as a child to proper authorities - after the incident already happened.

I teach my child to never start anything, but she is allowed to retaliate and/or defend whichever way she needs to. She tells me that the school does not let/condone her hitting back. I told her it would be OK to do so if she feels she has to.

911:

I will stand next to you,

I will hold my Louisville Slugger

I will hand you your own cell phone

I will allow you to dial 911

I will allow you to tell the operator where you are and that you are in immediate danger of attack, one that may well cause death

I will then start hitting you.

I will beat on you for 1-1/2 minutes with my bat

I will then make a clean getaway.

1911:

Screw this, I'm outta here!

(hopefully you didn't act proactively when handed the phone, otherwise I will still be here when the coroner arrives!)

Just a situational fantasy, I would never be the one with the bat, now the 1911, that could be another story.

Jim

I thought we were talking about 12 year old school children? They carry bats now?

My point is, the lessons they learn now are the ones they will carry on through the rest of their lives. I was taught to defend myself as a child growing up and I will continue to do so. I will also protect others against attack, but I will be damn well justified in doing so. The thing in this is when to act and when not to. If a child is "bullying" your child another child the right thing for the children to do is notify the teacher or other school officials.

My point is, the lessons they learn now are the ones they will carry on through the rest of their lives...

...the right thing for the children to do is notify the teacher or other school officials.

And that lesson will teach them to call 911 instead of reacting to the immediate situation later on in life. Not a good lesson in my book.

My point is, the lessons they learn now are the ones they will carry on through the rest of their lives...

...the right thing for the children to do is notify the teacher or other school officials.

And that lesson will teach them to call 911 instead of reacting to the immediate situation later on in life. Not a good lesson in my book.

Which is the point of th elittle story I posted.

911 will get a report made. 1911 will allow you to make the report.

Obviously one cannot act too hastily and 911 does have its place. You see an occurance unfolding, by all means call! But once things are in progress and you are the guest of honor, you have to make the choice, fight or flight and sometimes flight is not an option.

As others have said here, my daughter is to never start a fight, but she knows that she is not to stand by and get beat on either.

Jim

I guess I should have added more in there. That is why discussions are good, it allows parties to interact with thoughts.

That would be the right thing for a 12 year old child in a school setting to do (contact a teacher). If she interferes and gets involved in an altercation where life was not threatened or is not directly defending herself she is guilty of assault. The laws can be grossly interpreted in such an instance and ultimately the judge has the final call (when she ages a few years anyway) You have to pick up from that lesson with the right thing for a 23 year old girl (for when she reaches that age) to do when she witnesses an attack on a person. IE what she is to do later in life when faced with a situation. Different actions for different places under different circumstances.

I would try and teach my daughter and explain to her when she is 12 and in school she needs to go contact the teacher immediately. When she is 23 and witnesses a gang of thugs attacking a man in the mall parking lot I'd also want her to immediately contact 911. Even if she is carrying, I would not want her to get involved outside of running to safety and using her cell phone to call for help. The proper lesson is to teach the child to learn when to do what and by what means. I'd hate for my daughter to get hurt trying to be a hero in a bad situation.

Which is the point of th elittle story I posted.

911 will get a report made. 1911 will allow you to make the report.

Obviously one cannot act too hastily and 911 does have its place. You see an occurance unfolding, by all means call! But once things are in progress and you are the guest of honor, you have to make the choice, fight or flight and sometimes flight is not an option.

As others have said here, my daughter is to never start a fight, but she knows that she is not to stand by and get beat on either.

Jim

If you read the OP's post you'll see that his daughter was the aggressor and assaulted another child. While she might have been defending her friend that got "pushed", it's still not legal later in life to do. Words do not warrant an attack on another person. Someone can get in your face and say anything they want to you or about you and if you touch them, you are guilty of violating a law that could result in severe punishment. A child pushing another child and a 3rd party getting involved may or may not be justifiable.

I had a hard time with the verbal attacking thing. You could say anything about me as a child you wanted to, but leave my momma out of it. I'd instantly see red. I learned the hard way they can say anything about my momma they wanted to and I still could not touch them. Boy how I wish we were still in the days of the old west!!!

"Please read the complete Hate Forum Guidelines before posting in the Hate Forum.

• Rebuttals are not permitted!

The Hate forum is for rants only - no lengthy discussions or debates.

Hate Threads that turn into discussions or debates will automatically be locked without notice."