Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bedell Custom 5" Open gun

jostein jensen

Anyone out there using 3N38 in your .38 super Bedell blasters?

I had my first rounds downrange today with my new gun.

New Starline brass.

Federal Small Pistol.

MG 124gr JHP.

1.22"

9.4gr 3N38.

Crono was not very good. Showed a LOT of error, so I'm going to buy a new one, but the rounds it did register gave a PF of 175.

Am I loading too hot?

Almost every shooter I know who used 3N38 are in the 9.5-10gr region, so I might just have a fast barrel, but the primers were flattened on the edges.

Will turning the powder down a tenth make a difference in pressure/velocity and impact point?

I'm asking the latter because I won't be able to chrono again until after the nationals, and I don't want to go there with a sight off zero, and a possible minor PF...

Thanks for inputs folks :)

I had my first rounds downrange today with my new gun.

New Starline brass.

Federal Small Pistol.

MG 124gr JHP.

1.22"

9.4gr 3N38.

PF 175

Am I loading too hot?

Almost every shooter I know who used 3N38 are in the 9.5-10gr region, so I might just have a fast barrel, but the primers were flattened on the edges.

Will turning the powder down a tenth make a difference in pressure/velocity and impact point?

I'm asking the latter because I won't be able to chrono again until after the nationals, and I don't want to go there with a sight off zero, and a possible minor PF...

Thanks for inputs folks :)

Yes you are too hot.

My 38 super comp load

Lapua brass

Federal Small Rifle 205

MFS 124 gr

31,3 mm

8,6gr 3N38

Pf 163,4

I normally used VV3N38 8,8-9,1 gr and Pf was 167-172 to make sure I score major in the match (never been minor).

Hope this will help you.

It was what I was adviced to use in the SV IMM 9mm I had. Worked well there.

I hadn't heard anything bad about it, and I had it "in stock" so to speak, so I figured I might as well spend it. Got a pound left, so it won't be long until I change to N105.

Have not had any dot track problems, or flash problems with it, like others have, either.

Edited by jostein jensen

In 9mm the case is not big enough for the N105, I shoot 9mm for one season.....the only VV that does get me big flash is the 3N37....the 3n38 is fine but pretty hard to get in quantity that I need....and it's impossible to get the N105.....