Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W mags vs. 10 mm

RUSHARP2

There is no difference in the outside dimensions of the 10mm and 40 mags. Some of the 40 mags are identical inside and out. I had a little burr inside the magwell of my Match. The mag would go partway in and stick like a mofo. It was a very small bit of metal didn't seem like it would cause the problem, but soon as I took it off, it worked like a charm. I would check VERY carefully.

Hold the mag release in as you insert a mag. If it goes in you know it's the mag release.

Yup your right! I removed the magwell all together and the mag popped in just fine. It looks like I need to file down a REAL small lip on the magwell.

Wish I could help you guys, but it sounds like there's plenty of deductive reasoning going on as is. The only things I can think of would be for me to describe the follower angle over the phone, but that might be hard for me to coordinate w/going to Henning's shop. & I'd suggest checking the spring too, cuz he often buys long springs & cuts coils off for shorter mags. Maybe you already know this....

I also know Henning frequently talks/emails people about their gun & mags & makes lots of suggestions as to what will & will not work for them.

Good luck! :)

There is no difference in the outside dimensions of the 10mm and 40 mags. Some of the 40 mags are identical inside and out. I had a little burr inside the magwell of my Match. The mag would go partway in and stick like a mofo. It was a very small bit of metal didn't seem like it would cause the problem, but soon as I took it off, it worked like a charm. I would check VERY carefully.

Hold the mag release in as you insert a mag. If it goes in you know it's the mag release.

Yup your right! I removed the magwell all together and the mag popped in just fine. It looks like I need to file down a REAL small lip on the magwell.

Damn! I spoke to soon:( 10mm mag still doesnt fit in my .40 reliably!!! I filed the magwell tabs down and made sure the mag catch doesnt extend into the frame when depressed...Mag fits now but with a slam, and does not drop free...I have to pull it out with some force. Frustrated, i stripped the gun to the frame to find the cause of the jam (magwell, grips, catch, upper, etc.) and the 10mm mag still jams up! This 10mm is just too long for my frame as it clearly rubs on the front and rear of the frame. My 3 other true .40 mags work flawlessly!

Either the tolerances on my gun are off or just too tight but either way I would have to file the frame and/or mag to make this 10mm mag work in my .40 Gold team...way to much work to get a mag to fit for me. I gotta swap this for a true .40 mag from Henning. But for the record, at least in my case, the external dimensions of the 10mm are NOT the same as the .40 mags.

But for the record, at least in my case, the external dimensions of the 10mm are NOT the same as the .40 mags.

Not surprising. The one consistent thing I've noticed about EAA/Tanfo is not staying consistent. QC is I think the other problem. I lucked out and got a good one, Looks like you luck is a little off. The whole 40/10mm mag thing is a bit weird. My 40's and 10's are the same. The 40's did not come with spacers in them. I also got an older Match, with the good sights on it. Like I said EAA/Tanfo can't seem to find a good thing and stick with it.

Good luck, if anyone can help out It'll be Henning, when he gets back.

But for the record, at least in my case, the external dimensions of the 10mm are NOT the same as the .40 mags.

Not surprising. The one consistent thing I've noticed about EAA/Tanfo is not staying consistent. QC is I think the other problem. I lucked out and got a good one, Looks like you luck is a little off. The whole 40/10mm mag thing is a bit weird. My 40's and 10's are the same. The 40's did not come with spacers in them. I also got an older Match, with the good sights on it. Like I said EAA/Tanfo can't seem to find a good thing and stick with it.

Anytime I have had magazine not dropping free correctly its been mag release button. but if you removed it and it did it, it must be a variance in the frame... can you see any high spots in the magwell that could be causing it. because I havent had this problem with any of the frames and i have probably messed around with over 15 of them, but there is always a first.

Leo

I think I am going to return the 2 upgraded factory mags (just Grams Kit) back to factory. I know they will work with the longer rounds. Then I can see if I can buy mags and base pads from Henning and have him work his magic and give me 2 more 20 rounds. Seems like over kill, but I already have the cash have sunk into the stuff. I figure it is about 60 per mag, instead of 90 for a complete mag. Although the complete mags work. Huh, might need to rethink this???

It will give me options if I need them. Nothing like have 4 20 rounders and 4 15 rounders. That should be enough to get me through the Texas star stages.

Thanks for everything. I guess I just need to wait until he returns.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Anytime I have had magazine not dropping free correctly its been mag release button. but if you removed it and it did it, it must be a variance in the frame... can you see any high spots in the magwell that could be causing it. because I havent had this problem with any of the frames and i have probably messed around with over 15 of them, but there is always a first.

Leo

Its def not the magwell or the mag catch. I stripped everything down to the frame and the 10mm mag just refuses to insert. Like I said you can slam it in but then you have to forcefully remove it. Both of my .40 mags slide in and out with ease and drop free no prob. The frame is a 2007 large frame on a .40 Gold Team V12 upper. Henning should be sending me back a new .40 mag when he returns:) Hopefully that works!