Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bushing wrench question

Kyreb

I bought a "reverse" bushing wrench kit advertised in Front Sight a couple years ago. The kit has a plastic sort of half cap to hold down the spring plug with the thumb while the metal wrench fits over the bushing from the top side.

This set up worked really well with my SS SA 1911 as it was fitted especially tight by my smith. A standard plastic wrench works, but not real well.

Well, I finally broke the darn thing today. Want to get a replacement if they are still available. Do not remember who made it. Thought someone here might know.

Thanks in advance......Rick

I bought a "reverse" bushing wrench kit advertised in Front Sight a couple years ago. The kit has a plastic sort of half cap to hold down the spring plug with the thumb while the metal wrench fits over the bushing from the top side.

This set up worked really well with my SS SA 1911 as it was fitted especially tight by my smith. A standard plastic wrench works, but not real well.

Well, I finally broke the darn thing today. Want to get a replacement if they are still available. Do not remember who made it. Thought someone here might know.

This is not what you are describing but is a good bushing wrench that may achieve what you're looking for:

Scroll down to Kings bushing wrench and Kings deluxe bushing wrench

http://www.gunaccessories.com/1911/kings/PinKits-Tools.asp

Not trying to hijack, but if it's a standard 1911, you can install a full length guide rod with a "take down" hole drilled which allows the rod/spring/reverse plug to be removed as a captive assembly by inserting a paper clip tool in the hole. It makes it so easy to dis assemble, I usually don't even need a bushing wrench. In fact, I don't even know where mine is these days. It makes life so much easier, I really feel bad for people who don't use it.

here is one place to get them:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/pro...756&s=48455

You can use the same recoil spring as with the standrad (short) guide rod, you do need to get the reverse plug that goes with the FLGR.

Edited by bountyhunter