Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Velocity variance due to shooting from the shoulder?

I was reading about some ammunition here:

http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8495

I came across this:

(NOTE: Please understand that I fired this from a bench with actual rifles. Most arsenals test velocity out of rail test guns that do not recoil. Shooting from a shoulder can vary the velocity by 100 fps very easily due to recoil.)

Is this true? Can anyone explain what this guy is saying exactly?

Is this guy saying that if you shoot the same rifle from say a ransom rest and then shoot it off the shoulder you would get significant velocity differences?

• 2 weeks later...

As a layman, the physics of it are interesting, but I'm not buying that line of thought.

If you think of recoil in the sense that it is energy being transferred rearward and you stop that energy from moving rearward, where does it go? It doesn't just vanish. I believe that the energy that can not move rearward anymore will simply result in more component battering. The only thing that I see as varying with shooting from the shoulder is that the distance from the muzzle to the chrono will vary an inch or 2 or 3 due to no rearward movement. This would have a slight effect on the readings in a string, but nothing too extreme in my uneducated opinion.

Compare it to catching a fastball when you were a kid. If you moved your glove back right before the ball came scorching in, a little of the sting was taken out....riding out the impact. If you just threw your glove up in the path of the incoming ball, your glove and hand bore the brunt of the force.

I was reading about some ammunition here:

http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8495

I came across this:

(NOTE: Please understand that I fired this from a bench with actual rifles. Most arsenals test velocity out of rail test guns that do not recoil. Shooting from a shoulder can vary the velocity by 100 fps very easily due to recoil.)

Is this true? Can anyone explain what this guy is saying exactly?

Is this guy saying that if you shoot the same rifle from say a ransom rest and then shoot it off the shoulder you would get significant velocity differences?

I think it is just a matter of relative velocities. The bullet does not give a crap on how the gun is being held. All it knows is the pressure building behind it and the friction of the barrel in front of it. It will pop out at the appropriate muzzle velocity. Now, if the barrel is moving rearward when the bullet pops out, the velocity of the bullet (relative to something standing still on the same surface as the shooter: e.g. the chrono) the velocity approaching the chrono would be muzzle velocity minus the rearward component of the gun recoil velocity. Could that recoil velocity be 100 fps? I have no clue.

Later,