Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FLEX FUEL GAS MILAGE

DrawandDuck

The only problem with the high priced corn is, that the fertilizer and pesticides they use to grow that corn are also petroleum based. Which is why fertilizer has gone up as much as 500%, depending what you're using. For instance, DAP (common ingredient in any blend) used to run around $135/ton, or thereabouts. Last price I saw on it was $850. So yes, the corn crop is grossing more money, but the farmer is also risking more money. (I don't grow corn or beans)

Yeah, I know... 18-46-0 is over 1K/ton here!

EG

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had the same problems but with biodiesel except in my case it's has been about 10 cents higher per gallon, plus with the energy difference between bio and reg diesel you mileage suffers about 10% as well as fuel filters seem to clog up sooner with much less warning.

Kevin

:blizzard:

Have you had a fuel filter clog? I've run biodiesel blends, which around here are the same price or on occasion cheaper. I did notice a slight decrease in MPG, but none of the other ill effects.

I've heard on older trucks, it cleans the system so to speak. My trucks have had bio blends in them since they were new. Maybe that's it?

1) Build nuclear power plants.

2) Get those plants to split water into O2 and H2

3) Use the H2 to fuel autos/farm mach/etc

4) Burn H2 + O2 = H20

5) repeat steps 2-4

Dave,

I'm with you on #1, but 2-4 really aren't the best plan. Electric motors are about 80% efficient. Adding hydrolysis to the process drops the efficiency to maybe 15%...on a really good day with a a tailwind. What America really needs to do is have a Manhattan program to build a better battery and/or super-capacitor. Electricity *is* the answer.

I think we're going to be stuck with some type of hybrid-electric for some time until we solve the battery problem.

I'm with you on #1, but 2-4 really aren't the best plan. Electric motors are about 80% efficient. Adding hydrolysis to the process drops the efficiency to maybe 15%...on a really good day with a a tailwind. What America really needs to do is have a Manhattan program to build a better battery and/or super-capacitor. Electricity *is* the answer.

I think we're going to be stuck with some type of hybrid-electric for some time until we solve the battery problem.

Batteries are, at the root of it, corrosion chemistry. There's a limit to how far you can go with that before the compounds get way too touchy. Corrosion is pretty close to 'fire', as seen in last years' scores of exploding laptops.

A better energy storage device as Eric says is probably the single biggest & best thing we could do.

Another factor to consider is this: lack of refining capacity. That lack of capacity, combined with Katrina, caused major problems after the storm. It is still a tight-spot in the supply loop & it only benefits the specualtors.

There has not been a new refinery built in the US in 30 years. I personally think the environmentalists & other opponents have stymied efforts on the refining front - although I would not want a refinery near my home (who would?) and they have also been very very effective in preventing any new nuclear power plant construction - despite the fact that they don't emit carbon (if we stopped using any petroleum for heating and electricity generation, would't there be more for vehicle use and lower demand?).

Good news is:

-America's first new refinery is going to be built in S.D.! American built, American owned, and run by Americans!

LINK to article

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2...45e00110beb.txt

Looks like a positive development no matter what side of the debate you are on.

Edited by Carlos

Looks like Marathon Oil is almost doubling their capacity in the Garyville, LA plant. I saw a commercial the other day and thought they were building a new one but just adding to current capacity.

Still it will not be operational until end of 2009....

Garyville, Louisiana

The Louisiana Refining Division is located along the Mississippi River in Southeastern Louisiana near the town of Garyville. The refinery has the capacity to convert 256,000 barrels of crude oil per day into products such as gasoline, No. 1 and No. 2 fuel oils. Sulfur, asphalt, propane/propylene, isobutane, kerosene and coke are manufactured as secondary products.

The facility was constructed in 1976 and is the last major grassroots refinery built in the United States. The refinery is currently the 16th largest refinery in the U.S., based on crude throughput.

The Garyville Major Expansion project is an estimated $3.2 billion investment that will increase the size of the Garyville refinery by 180,000 barrels per day (bpd). With the expansion, the refinery's capacity will grow from 256,000 bpd to 425,000 bpd, making it among the largest refineries in the country. Conceptual studies for the project were initiated in 2004, and the project moved into the Front End Engineering and Design phase in 2006. Construction began in March 2007, with startup planned for the fourth quarter of 2009.