Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Base Pads

ERIC

Pardon me for being curmudgeonly and not entirely helpful or on-topic, but...

You want 25 rounds of Super? Use a freakin' 170mm magazine.

I never understood this whole short-stick Open arms race. "My short stick holds 23." "Mine holds 24 and it's reloadable." If the course requires more than about 18 rounds, put in a goddam big stick and STFU!

EW-

I think the reason he might want to use a 140 is that he may only have a 140. Since 170's are hard to come by since the BAN, he may not want to break FEDERAL LAW and make one from parts.

But thats just my opinion, I could be wrong................

There is no law against makin a high cap mag higher capacity Warpspeed. It is even legal to replace a 126mm tube with a 170mm tube. I use both the Arredondo and Dawson basepads on my 140mm so that I have extra room for thw spring. The springs tend to last longer if you don't compress them all the way. They can fit 25 but I only put 22 in them. I like the Dawsons better because they are made of metal.

I'm with EW.

I have some Dawson +2 pads but I quit using them for extra rounds on my 140's. I have discovered that if you try to stuff more than 20 rounds in a 140 mag, the entire spring/follower assembly is in the basepad. The spring/follower assy (I don't know exactly how it catches) can now hang up on the side of the mag tube creating very dangerous situation. Not only do you have a mag with 20+ loose, useless bullets, but that spring is compressed with no easy way to release it. I would suggest if you decide to remove the base pad, do it under something heavy like a coat or a blanket.

I let it happen a second time before I decided I would never put more than 20 rounds in a 140 mag again. There might be a majick number that is higher than 20 for different setups, but I'm not interested in looking for it.