Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safe loads for 115gn FMJ that are safely into the Minor catagory

steveknapp

"Hi, I'm Steve, and I'm starting reloading" "Hi Steve"

My thought was to duplicate WWB or CCI Blazer Brass. The cheap stuff I'm used to shooting. I know 124gn is more popular with reloaders. But I want to be able to shoot it at a USPSA match if needed.

Looking at load data, 1100fps barely gets into Minor. And most of the loads I've seen even at their max are barely 1100fps.

Power Pistol seems a good fit, but feedback on this forum seemed less than positive. Hogdon HS-6 seems a good fit, from the load data, but I find no mention of it anywhere.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I've seen mention of Tightgroup near the max load being good. But when I hear folks talk about "working up" a load, is a chrono required? Or do you get pressure feedback just by looking at the condition of the brass?

Steve - At least at this stage of your reloading, trust the reloading manuals for pressure. If you don't have one, the new Speer #14 manual is excellent.

Some sources for data from powder manufacturers:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp (Hodgdon, Winchester and IMR)

http://www.ramshot.com/powders/ (Ramshot and Accurate Arms)

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Rec...and%20Revolvers (Alliant)

If you get suggestions for loads here or elsewhere, check them against the powder manufacturer and/or bullet maker's data.

You shouldn't have any problem coming up with a 115 grain load that makes the power factor. You do need to check them on a chronograph; there's no other way to be sure. You can get a decent chronograph for under $100...twenty years ago, they were $500 and a lot more work.

You shouldn't have any problem coming up with a 115 grain load that makes the power factor.

Maybe I'm confusing myself somehow? I've looked at a few manuals, and online (I've got two manuals and the "one book one cartridge" book which has data from many). I need at least 1100fps to make minor, and most even the maximum loads I've found are barely over that (1135-1160).

Even with the chrono, is there a safe margin to leave yourself, to allow for environmental factors and load variances?

In the Speer #13.. the majority of the loads they list make 1,086 fps or more.. max on many seems to be over 1,200 fps. for many of them

Unique, V N350, V 3N37, AA #7, Power Pistol

All depends on the powder you pick.

Some will have problems..

like 700X, AA #5, American Select

Edited by BerKim

I noticed that, but Alliant lists lower max loads than the other books, is it OK to exceed? My understanding was not to exceed the max from any of the component makers loads?

I think I'm going to try some Unique or PowerPistol. I can find the unique easily. The VV powders are hard to find.

Just curious, when looking at the loads, the pressures are much higher than the others. Why is it "safe" to run Power Pistol at 33,500 while bullseye runs only to 31,000psi?

I noticed that, but Alliant lists lower max loads than the other books, is it OK to exceed? My understanding was not to exceed the max from any of the component makers loads?

This is a problem all of us face. If you're using Alliant powder with a specific bullet weight but not a specific brand, go with Alliant's data; if you're using Speer bullets with Alliant powder, go with Speer's data, since the specific bullet/powder combination has been tested.

I think I'm going to try some Unique or PowerPistol. I can find the unique easily. The VV powders are hard to find.

The VV powders are not only harder to find, but considerably more expensive. Some people swear by them; I still think they're a fashion statement more than a necessity, but I'm in the minority. ;) Unique is a good powder to start with. It will fill a 9x19 case most of the way to the top - a good thing in terms of safety, since it's impossible to double-charge it.

Just curious, when looking at the loads, the pressures are much higher than the others. Why is it "safe" to run Power Pistol at 33,500 while bullseye runs only to 31,000psi?

Maximum pressure standards are determined by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturer's Institute, usually referred to as "SAAMI". SAAMI max pressure is 35,000 psi for 9x19.

Power Pistol and Bullseye are different powders in terms of what's called "burning speed" - smokeless powder is a propellant, not an explosive, and different powders burn at different rates. Bullseye is a "fast" powder, which means (roughly speaking) that smaller amounts of it are needed to create a given pressure level than Power Pistol. Since smaller amounts increase pressure more quickly, powder manufacturers build more of a safety "fudge factor" into their data for faster powders than they do for slower ones.

Also, note that going slightly over the listed max pressure for a given load won't blow up your gun - there's a pretty big safety factor built into them. Doing that will wear the gun faster, though.

Rather than listening to us bloviate on the 'net, get your info from the reloading manuals - the powder and bullet manufacturers employ folks who actually know what they're talking about. :)