Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy metal barrel weight ?

buzzworm

Hi, I have an Armalite AR10A2 that I have been using for HM. It has a very good barrel, but I want to go to a flattop/freefloat upper. It is an early ban rifle, with the permanent 3 chamber brake. I had thought about just swapping to a flat top, but that involves removal of the break, threading, crowning, another comp, so on. At that point I decided to go with one complete.

I thought about an AR10T upper cut back to 20", cut down under the HG for weight, and Benny's "Rolling Thunder" break. I also am thinking about the JP light weight profile 18" barrel, and hand guard setup on my flat top.

My question is, do you prefer the light weight shorter barrel, or the heavier longer barrel? (I contacted Benny a few weeks back to talk to him about a build, and he talked about the Armalite being heavy, which is what made me start to question my plans. I also talked to JP and they spent alot of time with me on the phone about options also. Even called back to place the order, but that was put on hold till I get the reciever in hand. Many thanks to both for all the help.)

So, heavier to cut down felt recoil, or lighter to swing/handle better?

Thanks in advance for any help. BW

go no heavier than .830 under the handguard, my preference and current rifle is .750 from muzzle to just in front of the chamber, and I like it that way. it does not wander once it heats up and it is quick and nimble for a 308.

lighter is good, use the muzzle break to soften the recoil.

trapr