Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625-3 Trigger

cas

The trigger on a 1990 625-3.... are these things stainless or standard parts plated/coated with something? (looks to me like the latter).

I figured you guys might know more so than asking elsewhere.

It's a regular carbon-steel part that's been flash-chromed to match the stainless gun. S&W's initial stainless guns actually had stainless triggers and hammers for awhile, but they created problems, so they went with the flash-chromed stuff for a number of years. Eventually they dropped the plating and just installed the same case-colored parts they used on the blue guns, then later on made the gradual switch to MIM.

I was just wondering the same thing. I have come to the conclusion that I still loathe the smooth triggers on my new 625-4s and was looking for a grooved .265" to substitute. I checked Numrich and I see two versions - color case hardened and a different one for the stainless guns. I suppose the latter is flash chromed. Are they pretty much the same? Or is it simply a matter of aesthetics? I hope they are still readily available. They are selling for $42 (!) but I hate these smooth triggers so much that I'll gladly spend the money.

Dave Sinko

I was just wondering the same thing. I have come to the conclusion that I still loathe the smooth triggers on my new 625-4s and was looking for a grooved .265" to substitute. I checked Numrich and I see two versions - color case hardened and a different one for the stainless guns. I suppose the latter is flash chromed. Are they pretty much the same? Or is it simply a matter of aesthetics? I hope they are still readily available. They are selling for $42 (!) but I hate these smooth triggers so much that I'll gladly spend the money.

Dave Sinko

FYI, triggers and hammers have to be fitted, they are not drop in parts. My buddy at S+W factory told me they fitted them as sets to a frame and then did the case hardening (or surface hardening) after the fitting is done.... he told me the reason is.... wait for it.... if they grind and fit them AFTER they are surface hardened it wears out the cutters on their milling tools. :roflol:

I suppose the "miracle" of MIM means the new ones don't need as much fitting as machined parts, but they I still don't think they are simple drop in.

Edited by bountyhunter

It's a regular carbon-steel part that's been flash-chromed to match the stainless gun. S&W's initial stainless guns actually had stainless triggers and hammers for awhile, but they created problems, so they went with the flash-chromed stuff for a number of years. Eventually they dropped the plating and just installed the same case-colored parts they used on the blue guns, then later on made the gradual switch to MIM.

:wacko: That's just great. So I just bought a S&W 66-1 because everybody says how the P&R guns were "better" and I find out the guts are junk. The trigger and hammer sure look stainless anyway, any suggestions?

:wacko: That's just great. So I just bought a S&W 66-1 because everybody says how the P&R guns were "better" and I find out the guts are junk. The trigger and hammer sure look stainless anyway, any suggestions?

Nothing wrong with any of the parts on your gun. The P&R thing impresses the little old collector hens on the S&W forum more than anyone here, but your gun should be just fine.

My suggestion would be shoot your revolver and enjoy it.

Nothing wrong with any of the parts on your gun. The P&R thing impresses the little old collector hens on the S&W forum more than anyone here, but your gun should be just fine.

My suggestion would be shoot your revolver and enjoy it.

+1 My carry gun is a 66-1 2.5" and the only problem I have ever had (Many years, many rounds) was a broken bolt. After getting it open (Loaded gun) I replaced the bolt and it has never skipped a beat.

I think the chromed triggers and hammers are better than the new MIM junk. I would pay more for nice used guns with them.

I'm not sure if the 66-1 has chromed or stainless guts. They look stainless. What was the problem's with stainless anyway

I would assume it was galling between the parts and the frame.. just a guess.

One way to stop galling is to plate one part. And if you're going to plate them anyway, you might as well use the type you have the most of.

Edited by cas