Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Special Bullet Question

Chuck Anderson

I've got a couple loaded rounds recovered from an attempted murder and I'm trying to identify them. The rounds are loaded in Winchester .38 spl brass and they look like they all have Win primers. The bullets are copper jacketed with a flat point. I haven't had a chance to pull one yet but the recovered bullet was about 126 gr after hard surface impact. I'm guessing they were orinally 130gr. The 130 gr. Win's that I'm seeing are all a roundnose. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes FP 130 gr .38 bullets or if Winchester used this loading? I'll call Win tomorrow but I figured this forum might know better anyway.

Headstamp is "Winchester 38 SPL", if I was to guess - USA, but as Jamie says "what do I know". As to how old, as I remember I picked a couple of 100 round boxes off a prize table a couple of years ago, but it could be older.

The Winchester White Box .38 Special loads have used a 130 grain flat point bullet for at least a couple of years now. At least all the 1500-1800 rounds I've bought at Wally World during that time have been flat pointed.