Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will a short COL cause malfunctions in a 1911?

Kyle O

You should start with the correct length (factory specification) for the cartridge you're shooting. Check a Spear manual for COL.

That said, in some cases 1911's in 40S&W or 9mm will function more reliably with slightly longer ammo but it varies from gun to gun. If you're loading your own and are having feeding trouble you can try varying the length but be carefull, setting the bullet farther back with the power charge for the longer COL can cause over pressure. Having the cartridge too long can cause it to get stuck in the magazine and/or the gun won't go into battery.

Good luck

1.275 is the maximum COL for 45 acp in a 1911. Factory is close to 1.27, 1.272.

1.25 works fine with a 230 grain RN bullet. Semi-wadcutters are problematic for COL. Basically, the shoulder needs to make contact with the feed ramp at the same place a RN would. Trial and error with your gun and bullets.

Sierra loading data is the best because they use an actual 1911 (Colt Gold Cup) for their data. Others use a laboratory tube, and their data won't even be close. Speer uses a Sig P-220. Go figure. I find that dumb. 45 acp = 1911.

FPS will still vary from gun to gun. Loading with a chronograph is the only way to be sure.

edited to add: oh, and yes too short and too long of a COL will cause feeding problems.

Edited by Steve J

I got a recent education on loading lead 230 RN. I load jacketed to 1.270. I loaded around 100 rounds of 230 gr RN lead to that length thinking it was a direct replacement for jacketed. It passed the chamber gage with no problem but when I tried to chamber it at the range the gun would not go into battery. The lead bullets had a shoulder that was above the case rim and was stopping them from chambering. I shortened them to about the length I load 200 gr SWC and they run fine.

When I load a new bullet profile, I load about 100 rounds and shoot it to check for any feeding problems. Much better to have to change 100 or less than to have to recycle a good evening's loading.

Just a thought from an old fart who has reloaded for 30+ years...I have always loaded in 10 round batches (to start) making minor changes to whatever. I use magic marker on tape or the plastic box to identify each change. When I am at the range I run thru the new ammo and evaluate. Takes more time but I have less bad ammo.

JMHM

Richard

PS: I then load a "dummy" bag it and mark it for future reference.

Edited by chirpy