Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Factory crimp problems

Today I have received my EGW U-die.

The die acutally scrapes off some brass, leaving a small burr at the lower part of the case. Is this a normal condition? (See picture, sorry for the bad quality, cell phone cam isn't the best choice for close ups...)

If the brass has a pretty decent sized bulge it's not uncommon for the U-die to shave a tiny bit off the case. I haven't seen the burr happen, but I guess it would depend on how much bulge there was, how thick the brass is and how soft it is.

Today I have received my EGW U-die.

The die acutally scrapes off some brass, leaving a small burr at the lower part of the case. Is this a normal condition? (See picture, sorry for the bad quality, cell phone cam isn't the best choice for close ups...)

Try lubing the cases...

jj

I left the swaging rod in station 3 in place, is this ok or does it need the case expander die to function properly?

Yes, it does need the expander to support the case while the swage irons out the crimp. Running the swage without it is likely to deform the shell plate. Dillon claims they will not replace damaged shellplates under warrantee.

I left the swaging rod in station 3 in place, is this ok or does it need the case expander die to function properly?

Yes, it does need the expander to support the case while the swage irons out the crimp. Running the swage without it is likely to deform the shell plate. Dillon claims they will not replace damaged shellplates under warrantee.

Well, I replaced the expanding die with the EGW U-die. This seems to support the case at least as much as the expanding die. There is no noticeable flexing of the shellplate, even less than with the original setup.