Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If Clear, Hammer down, Holster command in USPSA

Albert

I've RO'ed a ton of majors and will just say this. Unfortunately, folks roll into a rhythm and complacency is bad. When I have a revolver guy, after following him down the range playing hop scotch dodging moonclips ;) I state:

"If you are finished, unload and show clear."

(I check the holes)

"If clear, hammer down and holster."

"Range is clear"

If the competitor wants to click away, that's on them, I don't mandate it, I've seen that it's clear and in the end, it's on the competitor to clear his firearm.

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg

I just shot a classifier match about a month ago and had a great time.

One thing that's been on my mind and am curious if it's been discussed here or not is in regards to the final few range commands during a USPSA match.

I was being run by an R.O. who after the "If you are finished, Unload and show Clear" command and after I opened the cylinder on my S&W 625 unloaded the moonclip full of empty cases and showed 6 empty chambers, closed the cylinder and received the command "If Clear, Hammer down, Holster" I then closed the cylinder and proceeded to holster as per the command. The R.O. must have thought I didn't hear the command correctly and then repeated in a much loader voice and more stern tone "If Clear, HAMMER DOWN, Holster". I then turned my head and said so he could clearly read my lips that I was then going to place the hammer down on the other 5 chambers including the 1 to insure that all 6 were clear if that was what he is looking for.

I was a little put off, but luckily there was a regular revolver shooter who was shooting open that day who tried to clarify that there is nothing in the rule book about this situation, but common sense suggests that the 6 chambers are clear after you have removed the moonclip with the empties and closed the cylinder.

Anyone else had this happen or was it just me?

There are some people that are hostile to revolvers. There are some ROs that are idiots. It happens. Just smile and educate them. You will find most people in the Northwest are happy to have you there. There is a real tradition of revolver shooting in the Seattle area. Fall used to be an unofficial revolver season, so, a lot of your more "mature" shooters have revolver experience. You will find that an RO like you experienced is, by far, the rarity around Seattle.

ROs unfamiliar with revolver get a start sometimes by the unusual movement of the gun during reloads.I have been warned in the past about muzzle position that I thought was unwarranted, but, never have been requested to even pull the trigger on the closed cylinder since the hammer is already down much less being expected to pull it 6 times.

I have been RO'ing at locals and sectionals for 3+ years. Previous to the new rule book, I always asked revo shooters to drop the hammer on an empty chamber. No more per the rules. I also will and have called revo shooters who get sloppy and point the muzzle of the gun at their forehead during reloads. Even though the cylinder is open, I see this as bad practice and the equivalent of breaking 180 or sweeping myself with a semi auto when the slide is locked back. Idiot, as you stated? I dont know, how about just safety conscious and consistent across divisions. Until NROI sees fit to change the rules specifically for revos I enforce them whether you like them or not.

One thing that's been on my mind and am curious if it's been discussed here or not is in regards to the final few range commands during a USPSA match.

I was being run by an R.O. who after the "If you are finished, Unload and show Clear" command and after I opened the cylinder on my S&W 625 unloaded the moonclip full of empty cases and showed 6 empty chambers, closed the cylinder and received the command "If Clear, Hammer down, Holster" I then closed the cylinder and proceeded to holster as per the command. The R.O. must have thought I didn't hear the command correctly and then repeated in a much loader voice and more stern tone "If Clear, HAMMER DOWN, Holster". I then turned my head and said so he could clearly read my lips that I was then going to place the hammer down on the other 5 chambers including the 1 to insure that all 6 were clear if that was what he is looking for.

I was a little put off, but luckily there was a regular revolver shooter who was shooting open that day who tried to clarify that there is nothing in the rule book about this situation, but common sense suggests that the 6 chambers are clear after you have removed the moonclip with the empties and closed the cylinder.

There are some people that are hostile to revolvers. There are some ROs that are idiots. It happens. Just smile and educate them. You will find most people in the Northwest are happy to have you there. There is a real tradition of revolver shooting in the Seattle area. Fall used to be an unofficial revolver season, so, a lot of your more "mature" shooters have revolver experience. You will find that an RO like you experienced is, by far, the rarity around Seattle.

ROs unfamiliar with revolver get a start sometimes by the unusual movement of the gun during reloads.I have been warned in the past about muzzle position that I thought was unwarranted, but, never have been requested to even pull the trigger on the closed cylinder since the hammer is already down much less being expected to pull it 6 times.

I have been RO'ing at locals and sectionals for 3+ years. Previous to the new rule book, I always asked revo shooters to drop the hammer on an empty chamber. No more per the rules. I also will and have called revo shooters who get sloppy and point the muzzle of the gun at their forehead during reloads. Even though the cylinder is open, I see this as bad practice and the equivalent of breaking 180 or sweeping myself with a semi auto when the slide is locked back. Idiot, as you stated? I dont know, how about just safety conscious and consistent across divisions. Until NROI sees fit to change the rules specifically for revos I enforce them whether you like them or not.

I llke the rules and I like them enforced. That having been said I have had some ROs do and say some really stupid things in my 14 years of shooting this sport. Like I said, it happens. I have pulled a couple myself. If you want to take this personally, go ahead. I have personally seen ROs startle at the gun movement of the revolver and stop a shooter. Then, when they had thought the movement out, apologize, and restart the shooter.

I do not like guns pointed in bad directions any more than you do. No revolver shooter does

I llke the rules and I like them enforced. That having been said I have had some ROs do and say some really stupid things in my 14 years of shooting this sport. Like I said, it happens. I have pulled a couple myself. If you want to take this personally, go ahead. I have personally seen ROs startle at the gun movement of the revolver and stop a shooter. Then, when they had thought the movement out, apologize, and restart the shooter.

I do not like guns pointed in bad directions any more than you do. No revolver shooter does

Personal, nope :) But you might want to sympathize a bit with the guy running the clock who often gets the scorn of the shooters whether he has earned it or not.

Personal, nope :) But you might want to sympathize a bit with the guy running the clock who often gets the scorn of the shooters whether he has earned it or not.

Having run the clock myself the RO gets my sympathy, respect and thanks. That makes nothing I have said less true

This was a nascent revolver shooter being incorrectly corrected. It bothered him enough to post here. Choosing to support and encourage the beginning revolver shooter is an easy choice for me.

The incident happened at my home range. There is a 95% chance I know and like the guy holding the clock. It was unusual I wasn't there to see this personally, but, it was a classification match.

I wasn't calling the particular guy on the clock an "idiot" but just pointing out that stuff was going to happen during the course of one's shooting, and, it will happen a little more if you have a revolver in your hand, and, you should just grin and bear it

It is all about the fun and what is truly safety

Edited by underlug

• 1 month later...