Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster position and why

swandme

I am starting out a new with CR Speed WSM's one for Open , one for limited and one for revolver.

I am looking for recomendations for holster positioning

Hight as compared to your belt ?

space between the belt and the gun ?

Angle ?

Any pics, Video , or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

SWandME

I think a search in the gear/accessories section might find some threads on this. The short version is to put the holster where it requires the least amount of movement for your hand to get to the gun from surrender and hands at sides (usually it's a compromise between the two). Pay attention to your shoulder...it shouldn't have to go up, down forward or back during the draw and the rest of your body should be pretty much static. I adjust mine so that from surrender, when I come down hard, the web of my hand hits the backstrap so really all I have to do is close my fingers and go. That position also works pretty well from hands at sides, but that's just me and everyone is different. R,

I shoot in Open class, holster at my side. I used to have it forward so it angles in front of you. Two reasons I changed it, 1st is that in any akward position, sitting, crouching etc that holster gets in the way. 2nd When you draw the gun from the hip you bring the gun out of the holster and straight out vs. pulling it over and then up. I thought having it more towards the front would be faster but it wasn't.

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40

I shoot in Open class, holster at my side. I used to have it forward so it angles in front of you. Two reasons I changed it, 1st is that in any akward position, sitting, crouching etc that holster gets in the way. 2nd When you draw the gun from the hip you bring the gun out of the holster and straight out vs. pulling it over and then up. I thought having it more towards the front would be faster but it wasn't.

Flyin

I found exactly the same thing. When i started in open, i had my holster in the 'crotch-rocket' position! After a while, i shifted it back to around the hip, pretty much where i would wear a standard or production gun. And my draw these days is faster and cleaner than ever. For me, at the hip works best!

+1 on the hip.

When I setup my first race holster I stood in front of a mirror for hours seeking the perfect position for no shoulder movement. Then I discovered I could not pick up a piece of brass without my right leg stuck out behind me. Sitting down sucked and since it was a Ghost holster I always had a big muzzle smudge on my pants. I decided that not only did I not like the smudge, I didn't like the pistol pointing at my thigh all the time and feeling like I had to assume the Egret position to pick up a piece of brass.

I am just as fast out of a kydex on my hip as I am with anything. I think it due to the fact that I feel like I can go to the gun much more aggressively at the beep then I can using a race holster. Using a kydex holster from a surrender start I will hit the grip hard enough to sting my palm and theres no way I would ever do that with a race holster for fear of knocking it out of the holster or breaking the thing. They are much more comfortable to wear all day too.

So my suggestions would be:

Hight as compared to your belt ?

Set the back of the grip slightly above the top of the belt.

space between the belt and the gun ?

No more than needed for easy thumb clearance from all start positions.

Angle ?

Back of the grip parallel with the top of the belt and at 90 deg to your body.

And on your hip where you would put a production holster.

You want to read Brians book.

Seriously, I'm not pushing it because it's his site. Read the book for where to put the holster, and why. You will get so much more, it's one of the best deals in shooting.

I just switched to Kydex for the EXACT reasons Singlestack pointed out above. I'm more aggresive getting the hand on the gun with Kydex. I could never get into .8's with my Ghost but I can from Kydex. I've come to realize that the finish on my guns is optional at the cost of speed.

• 2 weeks later...