Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Dies

warpspeed

I have a Dillon 550 that I use for pistol loads. I use dillon dies for most calibers with a Redding seating die on 40 & 38 super so I'm not opposed to mixing dies.  

My question is are theDillon dies the hot ticket for loading rifle as well or is there a better combo?

I use the Dillon die sets for .223 on my 550, and single stage on my RCBS Rockchucker for .270.

The only problem with the Dillon dies that I have found is that the .223 seating die was leaving a light contact ring on heavy bullets that use a compressed charge (24.5 of Varget under a Sierra 77 is a real case full). To correct that I switched to a Redding seating die.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/catego...&type=store

The Dillon .223 seating die works fine for everything else.

Regards,

(Edited by George at 12:37 pm on Jan. 18, 2003)

I run Hornady Rifle dies in my 550, and love them!  The seater/crimp die has a floating guide that keeps the bullet straight in its travel upward, so I can get my hand out of the way before being crunched by the press.

Dillon dies are brilliant for 223 and 308, if you are loading lots for an semi auto.

If you want a better seater go with Alan550's suggestion and use the Hornady, if you want an amazing system use the Redding Competition Neck Sizing dies and the Competition seating die. They are unreal, accuracy and price. But well worth it.