Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

K frame .38

MIKE MSM

G'day Guys

Did the Smith .38 special K frames have a shorter cylinder than the .357's?

I belive (correct me if I'm wrong, and I may be) the M14's were a .38 and much loved and modified for target type shooting.

I think they had the same frame as other K's and had the same cylinder length.

Sooo is there a long parallel section at the end of the cylinder due to the short chamber or am I missing something?

Thanks

Mike

Mike my model 10 cylinder measures 1.580 and my L frame 357 is 1.628. That makes it 0.048 inch shorter, the L frame cylinder is also slightly larger in diameter. But then I am comparing a L frame to a K frame. I think the Model 19 was a K frame 357 but not sure and I don't have one to measure. Sorry not much help. later rdd

There is a length difference in the cylinder between my Model 19 and Model 14. It's not much but visible to the naked eye. The barrel of the Model 14 sticks out of the frame into the cylinder window slightly more to compensate.

All of the planets were aligned when the Model 14 was made and they make excellent target guns. If you come across a nice one for a good price you won't be disappointed.

Mike - I dug some of mine out of the safe.

M14-4 = 1.577". .38s don't have recessed chambers; some .357s do. The recess places the rim even with the rear surface of the cylinder.

M19-3 = 1.675". This has recessed chambers. (I don't have a K frame .357 without recessed chambers.)

M27-3 = 1.577". This is an N frame without recessed chambers. Notice it's the same length as the .38.

M28-2 = 1.624". This is an N frame with recessed chambers. The difference in lengths is the thickness of the rim.

Ya'll did it. You forced me to put clothes on and go to my shop to get my calipers so I could measure some cylinders.

OK really I didn't put clothes on. :ph34r:

Non recessed k-frame 357 cylinders measure 1.625

G'day Guys

Did the Smith .38 special K frames have a shorter cylinder than the .357's? < YES >

I belive (correct me if I'm wrong, and I may be) the M14's were a .38 and much loved and modified for target type shooting. < YES, origanally called a K-38, if .32 K-32, if .22 then K-22 >

I think they had the same frame as other K's < YES, if blue, and adjustable sights > and had the same cylinder length. < not 100% sure, some of the .22LR may be different >

Sooo is there a long parallel section at the end of the cylinder due to the short chamber or am I missing something? < if I understand you question as intended, YES, and it prevents .357 magnums from chambering all the way in >

Thanks

Mike

MJ ;)