Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays and Lead FPS

Joe D

I decided to start shooting CDP for the remainder of the year in hopes of making Master. I am currently a lowly Expert. Last time I shot CDP was 7 or 8 years ago. I dug up some old Titegroup loaded rounds and shot a couple of local matches with them - did pretty well.

So I decided to try everyone's favorite .45 powder Clays. I have read several posts were the stated favorite Clays load was 4.2 gr with a 200 LSWC and 4.0 with a 230 LRN. Shot a match yesterday with the 200 gr load. Wow, it sure felt a lot hotter than my old TG load. One of the guys had set up a chrono to check his loads so I shot some of my 200 gr and 230 gr loads just to see what the FPS was.

The 200 gr load went an average of 906 fps. No wonder the gun was flipping so much!! The 230s went 798 FPS. I was a little suspect of his chrono so I ran some across my chrono when I got home - same FPS. I dropped the 200 load to 4.0 and got and average of 865 fps. Still too hot. Guess I will try 3.8 today.

My new G21SF had almost identical numbers as my 5" Kimber.

I run Clays 3.7gr with 230s and 4.2gr with 200s. The 200gr ran 168pf. The 230s ran 172pf.

I chrono'd yesterday (80* sunny). OAL is 1.265/ 1.225" respectively. HTH.

Seth

Edited by Sethmark

I have a large bullet order (10,000) coming in May. I told the supplier I would take either 200 or 230 gr. Thanks for the info. I am trying to decide which gun I shoot better - 1911 or G21SF. I get the same fps out of both.

I like the 200 swc better than the 230s. To me the 230s in 45 are like 147 in 9mm to sluggish feeling. Its probably going to take me 4.3 to be safe with my .45 and 200lswc but I load to 1.250 or something around that. Lets just say 4.1 didn't quite make major at A6 and my bullet weighed 204 grains and went 801 fps.

Edited by steel1212