Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 5in 200gn

rjkelso

I am loading a 200gn lead bullet on top of 3.6 gns of Clays, oal 1.200. It's a good load, good PF for ICORE but I am getting some bullet tumbling. What's up? I am posting here because I'm using a 625 5in.

Thanks,

Kelso

First thing to check is bullet diameter. If you don't have a full .452+ to start with it will tumble. If that's not the problem track diameters through the rest of the gun to the muzzle.

That is kind of odd.I would guess somethings up with the bullets as well.How much crimp are you putting on them?I just tested some some 200 lswc 3.5 Clays @ 1.25 loads this morning and didn't have any issues.They're for ICORE too.Pretty accurate,fairly clean,and went 700 fps average.

That is kind of odd.I would guess somethings up with the bullets as well.How much crimp are you putting on them?I just tested some some 200 lswc 3.5 Clays @ 1.25 loads this morning and didn't have any issues.They're for ICORE too.Pretty accurate,fairly clean,and went 700 fps average.

How much crimp...well, as little as I can and still have a smooth transition from the bullet to the case. I'm one of those guys that thinks too much crimp is worse than not enough; particularly in 45 ACP.

I'm not using LSWC's for a variety of reasons, some of them include leading of the throats and forcing cone. If you get enough build up in those areas you may squeeze down the diameter enough that when you get to the rifling in the barrel, you don't get good or uniform engagement.

Tumblers mean you're not getting enough spin on the ball. You might try to fire a few rounds into something soft (like a couple of jugs of water) and see what kind of shape the bullet is in. You want to see nice rifling marks all the way around the circumference. If there aren't even marks, or they're sheared off, it can guide to where to look next.

I had a batch of "Star" bullets one time that had undersized bullets scattered through the box. Some would fly right and some would not.

I am with Walter on this.

Make SURE your bullets are .452 all the way around.

That was your 625th post. I think I'll drink a beer in celebration.

Cheers to you.

I am with Walter on this.

Make SURE your bullets are .452 all the way around.

That was your 625th post. I think I'll drink a beer in celebration.

Cheers to you.

I will have a whiskey drink. :cheers:

I am loading a 200gn lead bullet on top of 3.6 gns of Clays, oal 1.200. It's a good load, good PF for ICORE but I am getting some bullet tumbling. What's up? I am posting here because I'm using a 625 5in.

Thanks,

Kelso

You are getting some good advise. Have you slugged your barrel/ and how long have you had the revo? I was having a similar problem and it was my barrel (I think, as I changed the barrel and the tumbling went away) On my barrel when I would push a lead bullet through it it would not be a constant feel. But too much crimp or not the rights size would cause the tumbling. But I just called them doubles and got away with it ...for a while... good luck rddd

All of the above are first choice likely issues (except crimp - you can go down low on lead w/o any issues, BE testers have gone as low as .462 that I know of) ... if the barrel to bullet fit is not the answer then, how's the crown on the barrel? I've seen brand new S&Ws with terrible crown keyholes at 25 yards.

/Bryan

Are the bullets too soft? If so, that will cause all kinds of leading problems. I have experienced this in dramatic fashion, and in the worst case the bullets were hitting sideways at 5'. In that instance too much velocity and my own stupidity contributed to the problem.

Are your cylinder throats too tight? That could cause problems too but not as dramatic.

Are you using too much crimp? A 200 gr. bullet for the .45 can be kind of short for caliber depending on the style, so if you crimp them too much you can actually swage down that part of the bullet that actually contacts the bore. This is often a big problem with plated bullets but I guess it could happen with some cast.

And don't forget to check the quality of your bullets. I am once again starting to cast more of my own and I practice with a lot of the rejects (bullets, not shooters) just to save time. Some of the rejects will tumble slightly due to bad bases or voids near the base.

Dave Sinko

Thanks for the thorough response. The gun is used to me. Barrel says 1988. These same bullets do not tumble out of my 625 4in or my 1911. I could back off on the crimp also. I have been relying on that to assist my reloads. I will also try forcing one of the bullets through the barrel and see how it feels. By the way the bullets are from Mid-States. They are 200 gr round nose and they have a little shoulder that I was trying to crimp just behind rather tightly. I'll get the caliper out and check a large handfull.

Thanks guys

Kelso